Battery Charging issues

Hello All,
I am looking for help to fix Battery issues in ubuntu 24.04 Budgie version.

I`m using Samsung Galaxy Book4 ( non-360 degree) model laptop.
I have downloaded and installed Ubuntu Budgie - 24.04 on my laptop after installation facing charging issue.

Suddenly, Laptop battery charging taking long time. While checking in the section of Battery power ( Showing approx 30+ hours for full battery charge)

If, I Power-off my laptop and charge then its hardly take 1hour and 30 Minutes to full charge.

I strongly feel recent time lots of packages auto updated by OS after that facing this issues.

Please help me to fix this issues.

Hi,

I think you are facing this problem after long time your battery charging issue in Ubuntu Budgie 24.04 might be related to recent updates or power management settings. I think you should following these steps troubleshoot and fix this:

1. Update Your System: Ensure all packages are up-to-date with the latest patches and fixes. Open a terminal and run:

sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade

2. Check Power Management Settings: Sometimes power management settings can affect charging. Install and run tlp to manage and optimize battery settings:

sudo apt install tlp tlp-rdw
    sudo tlp start

3. Reset Battery Statistics: Sometimes resetting battery statistics can help. Shut down your laptop, unplug it, remove the battery (if possible), hold the power button for 20 seconds, then reinsert the battery and boot up.

4. Kernel Issues: Check if the kernel version might be causing the issue. Sometimes reverting to a previous kernel version can solve hardware-related issues:

sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-24.04

If these steps don’t resolve the issue, consider checking forums or reaching out to the Ubuntu community for more specific advice tailored to your laptop model.

Thanks

Hello Jenny,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have tried all the option but still no luck.

I like to roll-back to older Kernel version, can you guide me how to roll-back kernel version in Ubuntu Budgie.

Thank You,
Mani

Ok - before rolling back, lets just see if it is indeed a kernel issue.

When booting your machine press and hold the left SHIFT keyboard button or press Esc. Should be done immediately at the EFI display just after powering on. This should display Grub.

Use the cursor down keys to the Advanced option - next screen should display a list of kernels - you want to select the oldest kernel in terms of the kernel number being the smallest. Press Enter to boot with that kernel.

I tried to roll-back kernel version but unfortunately there is only two kernel version is available.
While following you steps ( apt upgrade) kernerl version is upgraded
initrd.img-6.8.0-39-generic ( Today this kernel upgrade)
initrd.img-6.8.0-38-generic ( This was old kernel and its have same issues with battery)

there was one more kernel ( initrd.img-6.8.0-36-generic ), that was autoremove while apt update.

So, initrd.img-6.8.0-38-generic & initrd.img-6.8.0-39-generic kernel facing same issue.

Can we install older kernel and try with that? if answer is YES please share the steps.

(Note: I`m DevOps Engineer so i can perform the kernel roll-back steps)

Thanks,
Mani

generally you can install specific package versions like this

sudo apt install packagename=versionname

where packagename and versionname is found on launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sourcepackagename

so in this case the sourcepackagename is linux

So its something like this to install the first release kernel

sudo apt install linux-image-generic-hwe-24.04=6.8.0-31.31 linux-headers-generic-hwe-24.04=6.8.0-31.31 linux-generic-hwe-24.04=6.8.0-31.31

do take a close look at what it is doing - haven’t tried it myself.

I tried using the old kernel but still encountering the problem. However, if I power off the laptop and fully charge it within 2 hours.

It appears this problem is specific to the Linux Ubuntu 24.04 Budgie version.

Is there anything else you’d like to adjust?

Power management is managed by the kernel. Try booting 22.04 from an ISO and see what happens with charging. That would be using the older v6.5 kernel.

Following the information can hel to resolve this issues
Command > journalctl -b 0

----------- OUT PUT --------------------

kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [_SB.PC00.LPCB.H_EC._QF1.SEN1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20230628/psargs-330)
kernel:
kernel: No Local Variables are initialized for Method [_QF1]
kernel:
kernel: No Arguments are initialized for method [_QF1]
kernel:
kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _SB.PC00.LPCB.H_EC._QF1 due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20230628/psparse-529)
kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [_SB.PC00.LPCB.H_EC._QF1.SEN1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20230628/psargs-330)
kernel:
kernel:
kernel:
kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _SB.PC00.LPCB.H_EC._QF1 due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20230628/psparse-529)
kernel:
kernel:
kernel:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=213023

Someone reported disabling and deactivating the tpm chip resolves those types of messages via your efi-bios type settings