Broadcom drivers [solved]

Hey, just want to give a feedback: I have installed besides Ubuntu Budgie Solus OS to compare both distros. At the end in Ubuntu it was easier to get my broadcom drivers work and to connect with wifi.
Although Solus OS has the drivers out of the box it doesn’t work.

Therefore good work guys;) I’m happy to support and develop our Ubuntu!

Cheers

Andi

2 Likes

Andi, I actually had a problem with the same Broadcom drivers, but David was able to reassure me it would (and did) resolve itself by connecting the laptop with ethernet to the router, and have the driver window reload. Worked like a charm. Do you have the same opportunity to do that with your Solus install?

Hey Jason,

well I’m connected via ethernet/LAN to the router. But unfortunatly it didn’t work :frowning:

That’s the info which I become by the terminal:

andi@moehribaerchen ~ $ eopkg info linux-current | head -n2; uname -a
Installiertes Paket:
Name : linux-current, Version: 4.18.12, Release: 94
Linux moehribaerchen 4.18.12-94.current #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 9 11:28:00 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4365] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1704 802.11n + BT 4.0 [1028:0016]
07:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 07)
Subsystem: Dell RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [1028:0651]
Kernel driver in use: r8169

just want to give an update:

I’ve installed other drivers which depends on linux-current (kernel) and now it’s working well :slight_smile:

Broadcom drivers are usually problematic ones to install in Linux distros. However once you have ethernet you can resolve it pretty easily. Only wifi cards that work out of box from my experience are Intel ones.

1 Like

Yeah, broadcom drivers are pretty problematic. But installing other adding drivers to the current kernel solved the problem.

Using another notebook which has a wifi card by Intel worked directly out of box.

Probably this will help the next time with WiFi recognation.
Had a similar issue with one 15 years old HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop.

apt install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer

1 Like

thx for sharing your experience with your troubles to get the broadcom drivers worked :slight_smile: