Can't install 20.04 from ISO

I boot in and press try. Clicking installer does nothing, so I launch it from the terminal ( ubiquity) and get an error:

/usr/bin/ubiquity:74: DeprecationWarning: the imp module is deprecated in favour of importlib; see the module's documentation for alternative uses
  import imp
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 658, in <module>
    main(oem_config)
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 571, in main
    os.makedirs('/var/log/installer')
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/os.py", line 223, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/var/log/installer'
Error in sys.excepthook:
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 144, in apport_excepthook
    with os.fdopen(os.open(pr_filename,
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/var/crash/_usr_lib_ubiquity_bin_ubiquity.0.crash'

Original exception was:
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 658, in <module>
    main(oem_config)
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 571, in main
    os.makedirs('/var/log/installer')
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/os.py", line 223, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/var/log/installer'

I wrote the ISO using Gnome Disks. I don’t want to reboot and click install before entering the live session as I’m afraid of something breaking… I tried rebooting into the live USB multiple times. It’s the latest 20.04. Any ideas?

Looks to be a corrupt ISO.

Either the download itself - did you check the md5sum before writing? - or the usbwrite went wrong … or that the usb stick is failing

The ISO isn’t corrupt as I installed it in a vm earlier with no issues, the md5sum is fine.

or the usbwrite went wrong … or that the usb stick is failing

it could be that it’s failing, which is sad as I have no other USBs available at the moment (but if it’s failing how have I been using the live session for over half an hour with no issues?). What tool would you recommend to do a rewrite?

Live session doesn’t use the entire contents of the stick. So it could be part of the usb stick that is not the live session.

Gnome disks is just fine. It does all the validation.

Ah, okay. So I should just try my luck with a rewrite?

Doubtful. No harm in trying.

A fresh usb stick is a better bet.

A fresh USB stick is a better one, but I have no idea where all of my others went… so I’ll just try this and stick with Manjaro for now if it fails.

Alright, I made progress. I tried writing to the usb with etcher and it said that the ISO was in fact corrupt. I’m currently downloading a fresh one.

There seems to be an issue with your servers, the download has been going on for over an hour and isn’t even halfway done :frowning:

My internet is very fast. Every other time I’ve downloaded, it takes around 5 minutes.

Sounds like an issue with the mirror you are using.

Suggest using the torrent which bypasses the download mirrors.

1 Like

Thanks, this is much much faster. Currently downloading…

Maybe this is just an etcher issue? Same problem with newly torrented iso…

Screenshot_20200704_114344

I haven’t seen that issue before with etcher.

Do run md5sum on the iso and compare with the published value.

If that error is shown when writing to the USB then it gives more weight to a failed stick.

It gives me this:

0947e4bb34c2c8bd0e6458da17228e1e  ubuntu-budgie-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso

0947e4bb34c2c8bd0e6458da17228e1e is indeed the right hash

That is interesting. My reflashed drive works on another computer, haven’t tested on the main one (will do soon). at least i have UB in one place now :smiley:

I got it to work on this main computer by launching from the terminal with a DBus option from the desktop file. seems the desktop file refused to launch on this one. Oh well, I now have UB and it’s working awesomely!