Can't Set Time To 12 Hours

I upgraded from 16.04 remix, and I can’t change the time from 24 hour to 12 hour. It just doesn’t do it.

mike

Could you tell what

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface clock-format

sais? and what happens if you run:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface clock-format '12h'

?

How do I run those commands? When I try them in a terminal, nothing happens, it just resets.

To clarify, I mean the “big time,” not the time at the top. That one is OK, it reads am/pm. Maybe the “big time” only reads 24h? (By big time I mean the time and date on the screen, as opposed to the small digital clock in the panel). The settings are correct in the time and date settings, they just don’t seem to affect the on-screen time display.

Have a look at budgie settings and the date and time applet you can configure 12hr stuff and other things as well.

If you mean the desktop one, you have to go to Budgie Desktop Settings, then go to your panel, find the applet called Desktop time & date and press Twelve hours display on the right side menu.

Have a look at budgie settings and the date and time applet you can
configure 12hr stuff and other things as well.

Visit
Topic

or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click
here

I have already done that, it doesn’t have the desired result.

Probably a silly question, but are you sure you set it in Budgie Settings <> Gnome Settings.

If you mean the desktop one, you have to go to Budgie Desktop Settings,
then go to your panel, find the applet called Desktop time & date and
press Twelve hours display on the right side menu.

Visit
Topic

or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click
here

Well, it seems it is working now. I didn’t do anything today to it;
perhaps just restarting my computer made the changes I attempted yesterday
take effect. Case closed. Everything seems to be working now, the upgrade
from remix appears to have been very successful.

Actually, I spoke too soon. I forgot it was still before 1pm, so it read correctly (12:34, e.g.). Now that it is past 1 pm, I see it is still set to 24 time format.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the applet. It uninstalled, although I had to restart to make it effective. I then reinstalled, but now it has gone into hiding. It is listed as installed in Budgie Applets, but it is not on the screen. I restarted again to see if that would help, but it did not.

could you add the applet to the applets and run budgie-panel --replace& and post the output? Could be the data in ~/.config/budgie-extras/showtime got corrupted somehow.

Hi vlijm, here is the output you requested:

michael@michael-GT5656:~ budgie-panel --replace& [1] 12251 michael@michael-GT5656:~ ** Message: 12:24:22.884: libsession.vala:50: DESKTOP_AUTOSTART_ID not set, session registration may be broken (not running budgie-desktop?)

** (budgie-panel:12251): WARNING **: 12:24:23.150: BudgieMenuWindow.vala:298: Software has no parent directory, not adding to menu

michael@michael-GT5656:~$

mike

I think you may be on to something, vlijm. I now have no panel either. So clearly something is going on with the desktop.

(By panel I mean the one with the small time, shutdown icon, start menu etc).

This all might be due to upgrading early, before the July release. I was bored, figured I’d try it. If it can’t be fixed, no problem, I’ll just download the iso. I once installed Ubuntu 16 “over” 14, and it kept all my files, so maybe UB will work like that too.

Please reset your panel - this should ensure all the applets such as quicknote and showtime are visible

nohup budgie-panel --reset --replace &

Thanks David, I reset the panel per your instructions. That worked. However, I then changed the theme to Material Adapta, and that made the panel and Desktop Showtime go away again. I switched to Material Vimix and that is holding.

Whoa, problem solved! Gabb1995 mentioned it but I just didn’t see it. As he said, it’s in the budgie desktop settings, under Top Panel. Kind of hard to find!

Hi mdiemer,

Look here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7ep4b4y03b8a84/vokoscreen-2018-05-26_22-45-04.mkv?dl=0
It shows how to set 12/24 hrs

If it still does not work, please remove the directory ~/.config/budgie-extras/showtime and try again. If that doesn’t work, I am afraid something is seriously wrong in your install.

Although all distro’s offer updating, I am not fond of it there is always the risk of incompatible local files with new applications etc (although not the case here), but still… Fresh install is always better imo.

Hope it works!

Thank you Vlijm, see above post. I just couldn’t find the place where you adjust it. I just found it by accident. sorry this did not happen before your last post!

Why this eluded me, especially when Gabb1995 steered me in the right direction, I don’t know.

I’m hopeful now anyway that my upgrade is in good shape after all. It’s a beautiful distro. Now, if I can just find that iceberg picture…

Haha, no problem. Hope you’ll find the iceberg :slight_smile: