Desktop Applet Does Not Appear

I have selected the Desktop Show Time applet and the red “remove” button appears under its image in the pictorial Budgie applet menu: System Tools > Budgie Applets. I assume that means it is installed. What would prevent it from appearing on my desktop? Is there some over-ride setting that excludes applets from being visible? Restarting does not solve the problem.

Please run in a terminal: budgie-panel --replace&, and remove/add the applet again, then tell us what the terminal output says. What Ubuntu version do you run? Is this a full install? Do you run it on a multi-monitor setup or single?

Please see terminal output below. Ubuintu Budgie 18.04 full install. Single monitor. The applet appeared after install. I then removed it. Since then it will not reinstall.

sysop@sysop-NUC7i3BNH:~ budgie-panel --replace& [1] 3146 sysop@sysop-NUC7i3BNH:~ ** Message: 22:09:22.487: libsession.vala:50: DESKTOP_AUTOSTART_ID not set, session registration may be broken (not running budgie-desktop?)

** (budgie-panel:3146): WARNING **: 22:09:22.601: BudgieMenuWindow.vala:298: Software has no parent directory, not adding to menu

sysop@sysop-NUC7i3BNH:~$ [Debug] Opening page: budgie-applets.html
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
budgie-showtime-applet
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 1 to remove and 5 not to upgrade.
After this operation, 48.1 kB disk space will be freed.
(Reading database … 180588 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing budgie-showtime-applet (0.4.4-0ubuntu1) …
[Apt] Reloading cache…
[Apt] Cache reloaded.
[‘main’, ‘universe’, ‘restricted’, ‘multiverse’]
[‘universe’]
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
budgie-showtime-applet
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 0 to remove and 5 not to upgrade.
Need to get 9,792 B of archives.
After this operation, 48.1 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 budgie-showtime-applet all 0.4.4-0ubuntu1 [9,792 B]
Fetched 9,792 B in 0s (45.4 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package budgie-showtime-applet.
(Reading database … 180577 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/budgie-showtime-applet_0.4.4-0ubuntu1_all.deb …
Unpacking budgie-showtime-applet (0.4.4-0ubuntu1) …
Setting up budgie-showtime-applet (0.4.4-0ubuntu1) …
[Apt] Reloading cache…
[Apt] Cache reloaded.

Ah, wait, that’s not what I meant with add/remove. I meant run budgie-panel --replace&, than simply remove/add the applet in Budgie settings, not completely uninstall/install. We need to see what possibly goes wrong when the applet is starting up.

OK. I had wrongly assumed the applet when installed would create its own panel. Once I added a panel, Showtime now appears on my screen. Different from my prior distro. Thank you.

BTW, at first I found it confusing that there is a menu item containing the word “settings” in Raven as well as two (one a repeat - “Budgie Desktop Settings”) via the upper left icon.

Not really sure what the purpose of the Raven is. I was going to remove it from the top panel, but then saw this operation “cannot be undone”. A bit like death I pondered.

Did you ever read the poem “The Raven” by Edgar Allen Poe?