Disable global menu applet on desktop screen

Is it possible to disable the global menu applet on main desktop screen. Unlike Mac OS, the global menu on budgie desktop is of no practical use and carries empty or inconsequential menu. It would be aesthetically pleasing if the global app menu only shows up in applications where it can serve some purpose. Many thanks!

If I understand correctly…

But you can remove any applet via the budgie settings application (found in the menu).

Or am I missing something here… :slight_smile:

Thank you for such a quick reply. My query is a bit different. I want the global menu applet to be only functional when I open an app and not on the desktop. I am not on budgie desktop at this moment. Here is a screenshot i pulled up from the internet. I do not want the menu to show on the main desktop screen.
hqdefault

I thought the same years ago.
Then I get used to and tried to take good from it :
â‹… if you have only folders at the root of Documents, Music and so on, it becomes very convenient,
â‹… the Files section is actually your Download folder [ at least here on a french system ].
So it acts as a « places applets ».

You’re right though, some options would be nice :
â‹… to toggle on or off global menu on desktop view,
â‹… ability to exclude this or that app from being handled by global menu ( Firefox, Thunderbird, to name a few ).

1 Like

I like the compact view of the global menu extension, but notice it lacks integration for some applications. It is still part of my daily budgie experience and one of the first applets I install.

CSD windows are inevitably out of the scope of global menu, as these don’t provide any menu.

And Mozilla’s applications ( Firefox, Thunderbird ) also break global menu, as these don’t really follow GTK implementation of menus…

Applications packaged in snap ( and flatpak I guess ) won’t send their menus to global menu applet because of how they’re sandboxed/confined.

So here not much the applet can do, as it is part of that stupid trend of deprecating traditional menus in favor of all-icons-CSD-thing.

Thank you! Guess it is what it is then.

So, there is no option to remove it from desktop. I too wanted to remove global menu from desktop as it will give a clean look to my desktop. :pensive:

For this suggestion please raise an issue on the maintainers upstream repo. thx

1 Like

See post two to remove the applet.

The applet oddly enough integrates well with chrome and mailspring which is my default and a snap. There is no integration for the snap version of gimp and others.

What kind of confinment does mailspring-as-a-snap make use of ? --classic maybe ? Hence maybe why menus are ok.

Gimp as a snap can’t go --classic, it’s inevitably confined.

How strange you have some duplicate launchers.

Why don’t you put them all in panel ?

If you run snap info [snap name] --verbose, you can see how the snap is confined.

But I tend to use snap info mailspring --verbose | grep confinement as it is quite a lot of output at times.

Grepped Output

❯ snap info mailspring --verbose | grep confinement
  confinement: strict

Standard Verbose Output

❯ snap info mailspring --verbose
name:      mailspring
summary:   The best email app for people and teams at work
publisher: Mailspring (foundry376âś“)
store-url: https://snapcraft.io/mailspring
license:   Proprietary
description: |
  Mailspring is a desktop email client with modern features like unified
  inbox, snoozing, reminders, templates, offline search, and support for
  Gmail labels. It even has a built-in "dark" and "ubuntu" themes so you can
  style it to match your desktop. Move to Mailspring and breathe life back
  into your tired inbox!

Provider Support:

Mailspring is absolutely free and supports all IMAP providers, including
  Gmail, Office 365 and iCloud. Mailspring does not support Microsoft
  Exchange ActiveSync.

Pro Version:

If your work revolves around email, Mailspring Pro adds even more features,
  supercharging the app with read receipts, link tracking, send later,
  reminders, contact profiles, email analytics and more. At $8/mo, Mailspring
  Pro is an affordable alternative to sales and business email extensions and
  the first tool to bring all these powerful features to any IMAP providers.

Mailspring is open-source software
  (https://github.com/Foundry376/Mailspring) and Mailspring Pro subscriptions
  allow the core maintainers to work on Mailspring and keep improvements
  coming.

Mailspring ID:

In order to use Mailspring, you need to create a Mailspring account.
  However, none of your email credentials or passwords are ever sent to the
  cloud. Your Mailspring ID holds things like snooze dates and mail rules, so
  you can re-install Mailspring or use it on two computers at once.

Terms of Service:

https://getmailspring.com/terms

Privacy Policy:

https://getmailspring.com/privacy-policy
notes:         
  private:     false
  confinement: strict
snap-id: 0TyNxgP6wEM3nTXzymtc1wOnvl2P6Iij
channels:
  latest/stable:    1.7.7 2020-05-21 (482) 202MB -
  latest/candidate: 1.7.7 2020-05-21 (482) 202MB -
  latest/beta:      1.7.7 2020-05-21 (482) 202MB -
  latest/edge:      1.7.7 2020-05-21 (482) 202MB -

Because i like icons sitting on my desktop and i put those which i use the most in my launcher.

I was asking about confinment for mailspring because @Frogshair mentioned global menu applet works with it - which is unexpected for a snap.

Out of topic, snap often read this way :

license:   Proprietary

but

Mailspring is open-source software

…contradiction ?

Things are moving pretty quickly in the snap world.

Recent changes are allowing more and more integration features.

So for example exposing the menus is now possible as long as the snap developer uses the right snap plugs.

We have ourselves got a test snap mechanism that allows us to have pocillo themed snaps I.e. so that they now feel integrated.

There is now a proposal to make downloading and applying theme snaps automatic I.e. by installing any snap if there is a corresponding themed snap that your system is using all compatible snaps will be automatically themed.

Other snaps now have the ability to read and write home config files so those snaps seamlessly integrate with deb packages that use those same config files.

We live in interesting times…

1 Like

So when we find a snap that do not send its menus to the global menu applet, where to report ?

Or is this a thing that can be manually plugged afterwards ?

Basically you need to find out who wrote the snap. When you publish there are two fields. One for upstream and one for the snap author. If those are filled out properly, you can get it from the snap store page for the app.