Firefox in software repo is 61b? [Solved]

When searching for Firefox in the software dept., it showed 61b - so i said to myself, okay.
Must be better than latest stable 60.
Installation however proved to be still 59.
Mystery!

I had a peak.

Package firefox
bionic (18.04LTS) (web): Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
60.0+build2-0ubuntu1 [security]: amd64 i386
59.0.2+build1-0ubuntu1 [ports]: arm64 armhf ppc64el

Now that you installed, close Firefox, and what are the results of:

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y

Then reopen Firefox and check the version.

My expectation would be that it goes direct to 60, but that might be a gap in my knowledge.

Still 59.0.2

Funny how the description shifted from beta 60 to 59 after installation.

I know what the problem is! I had to reinstall gnome software to figure it out. In Nome software when you search, the version that is labeled as 61… Is a snap package whereas via apt and the traditional ppas, that is version 59. So how did you install the package? Did you install it via the command line with apt?15260914421364278512437367530145

Installed it via Software package manager that comes with the OS (the little white dots in blue background icon). Tried to take a screenshot but it did not work.

Anyway, it is probably better to uninstall and try via snap, if i can figure that one out.

A little more detail…

$ which firefox
/usr/bin/firefox
$ firefox --version
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2
$ sudo snap install firefox
$ /snap/bin/firefox --version
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2
# huh?!?!?!? ^
$ snap info firefox
refreshed: 2018-03-23T13:20:22-07:00
installed:   59.0.2-1 (71) 193MB -
channels:                  
  stable:    59.0.2-1 (71) 193MB -
  candidate: 60.0-2   (85) 206MB -
  beta:      61.0b4-1 (86) 202MB -
  edge:      ↑  

So it looks like gnome software may have access to the other snap channels - but that is odd to me. Looks like a gnome-software issue. Looks like it is pulling the version number from the beta channel.

Probably as you say.
These things only happen to me.

If you uninstall Firefox (Deb) and want to get to the beta snap channel, there’s an extra command line switch that you have to put.

sudo snap install firefox --channel beta

But do keep in mind that as it auto updates, it will auto update from the beta channel and not stable. When you install a snap, you are essentially subscribing perse to that channel.

The gods must have read this thread!
This a.m., at boot, after reading your last post bashfulrobot,
i was going to remove 59 but lo and behold, 60 appears in the list! ha!
So, no need for snap beta now.
Thanks for lending a helping hand though!
A bit weird huh?

1 Like

That really is. Honestly, or perplexed me a bit. In one of my original posts when I saw that there was a 60… I had searched through the online page that Ubuntu provides. But I didn’t see it on my local system. I wonder if it was simply in progress of being pushed out to the repositories.

If you are referring to the .deb package then yeah. Different mirrors will receive the updates at different times.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for clarifying that. Pretty much drove me nuts. And here I thought I went all Sherlock Holmes with the snaps. Ha.