Future of Ubuntu Budgie

Dear Ubuntu Budgie Team,

I am a big fan of Ubuntu Budgie and I am excited to see what the future holds for this distribution. I have a few questions about your plans for the future:

• Do you have any plans to change the default file manager from Nemo to Nautilus?
  • What are your thoughts on the future of desktop icons? Will they eventually disappear altogether?
  • Will the Welcome app change significantly in the future?

I am also curious to know what your team is working on right now. What are some of the new features and improvements that you are planning for future releases?

Finally, I would like to thank you for all of your hard work on Ubuntu Budgie. It is a great distribution and I am grateful to be a part of the community.

Additional questions:

• What are your plans for the Budgie desktop environment? Will it continue to be developed and supported?
  • What are your thoughts on the convergence of desktop and mobile operating systems? Do you see Ubuntu Budgie playing a role in this convergence?
  • What are your biggest challenges and opportunities for the future?
  • Did you have fried egg for breakfast?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Alejo

We made the decision to move to Nemo because Nautilus dropped icon support. We have no wish to look back. Obviously if you don’t use desktop icons … you don’t have to use nemo!

Upstream have committed that there should be no regressive capabilities moving forward - so the aim is to have on-par or better capabilities as we move forward

That really depends on who wants to help here. We’ve mulled around moving to a flutter based approach and other toolkits. It will need someone though with the time and passion to drive things forward.

Do look out for our planning posts. We make one per cycle. 24.04 is due soonish. 23.04 was here Planning for 23.04

In terms of actual developments we have one thread per cycle that is maintained to show what has been achieved - Testing 23.10 - Are you brave enough?

Budgie related developments and the future can be found here News | Buddies of Budgie

No - we develop for two platforms only - raspi 4 and 64bit intel

easy - finding motivated people (like yourself?!) to help in anyway they can. Get Involved - Ubuntu Budgie Discourse

Only on a Sunday!

1 Like

Oh lord.
I hope they don’t. Ever.
Nautilus is such an empty shell. There’s nothing left to it.
Although it’s the main use case, you can barely manage files at this point with Nautilus. It doesn’t look as professional, it isn’t featured, you can’t theme it properly, there’s really no point in 2023 in using Nautilus over Nemo.
There are at least 5 file managers on Linux that look more modern, are more efficient to deal with files, or are more featured.
Nautilus is only regressing.