Hello I want to help ubuntu budgie with 18.10 testing ;)

Hello,
my name is Andi. I’ve already written in the group “google+” that I’m interested in helping ubuntu budgie. My personal interest is almost big: bug fixing, developing, qa

Which way is the best to start?

Regards
Andi

1 Like

@andigi89 - see below for some previous notes I made with regards to testing - think they still apply

Golden Rule: analyze, bug, fix

Testing is open for intrepid and enthusiastic testers. If you are confident and like to work out what is wrong - we want you on our team!

For beta testing - a number of bugs should be expected - we need to find these. That is why we do beta testing. You really should not expect a stable system - do not install alpha/beta and daily ISOs on a production system. Kind of obvious I know - but we always can see those that don't understand that concept and moan and groan on various blog sites. Feel free to make them informed!

So you want to join in the fun? Yes, it really is! 😊

1. Optionally Join Ubuntu Budgie bug busters and Subscribe to the mailing list - https://launchpad.net/~budgie-remix-bug-busters
  2. Download the ISO and Install
  3. Test using the ISO Tracker

test cases

Simple! Ok lets be serious now.

If you don't think you can do this then we kindly would suggest testing Alphas and Beta's is perhaps not for you. Please wait until the 18.10 release is available in October.

Ready?

Daily Downloads are here -

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-budgie/daily-live/current/

P.S. Remember over a beta or release candidate stage, more than one ISO is released - often each day - so stay alert!

P.P.S - use zsync <full_url_to_.zsync> to keep up-to-date and minimize bandwidth

David (project lead)

Okay thx for sending this steps.

But I guess, it would be better to install the version 18.10 on VM or on a seperate partition besides the recent OS 18.04?

As long as you have a good image backup, its better to install on a partition. This will highlight potential driver issues. But yes - a VM will work as well for general software testing.

Okay, yes it would make sense using a partition.
Can you recommend any backup programms?

I personally use clonezilla.

@bashfulrobot do you have any recommendations for full drive image backups? - this is obviously more of your area of expertise

okay thx for your tip :wink:

@fossfreedom: btw I’ve decided to install 18.04.1 on my harddrive and not LTS. I guess it is a much more “better” choice than using LTS?

hmm? 18.04.1 is the LTS. Remember the LTS starts with 18.04 and then there is a series of regular point releases over the next 2 years - 18.04.1 in July, 18.04.2 next Feb etc etc

I would consider a Clonezilla the default standard. That’s definitely the way I would go if I wanted a full disk image.

If you were looking just for a backup program, but not disk Imaging… I use one called Restic. In fact I maintain the snap package for it. It doesn’t have a GUI, but it is super powerful. And also supports encryption when you place things in a public Cloud. But you can also do local backups as well. It’s very very versatile.

Ah okay. Well, when I want to install 18.10 for testing and do backups regularly it would make sense to use clonezilla I guess?

Restic? It’s quite new for me because I’ve never heard it before :slight_smile: But I can try to get convenient with it. If I have some questions, it’ll be the best to ask you directly?

@fossfreedom ah I’m sry - yes it started with 18.04 - and it will go one on further versions;) thx for explaining it.

Well Clonezilla requires you to boot off of a live usb,.and then clone the drive. It does a full bit for bit copy of your hard drive. If you just want to backup your data and config, I would use a more traditional backup tool. Can you describe what you are trying to backup? Data,.or.an exact snapshot in time? :slight_smile:

Ah okay I see the point.
Well, I want to start helping with iso 18.10. (solving bugs etc.). Therefore I need to do backups regularly. :slight_smile:

Thx @fossfreedom and @bashfulrobot for your fast answers how I can start helpining on Ubuntu Budgie;)

hello, just installed Ubuntu Budgie 18.10 daily (Sept 26th) on an hp comaq 8000 ultra desktop, flawlessly :slight_smile: Works smoothly, but it took some effort to get the screen resolution right. The browser roulette from the start page was great. I’ll work at trying to find something that doesn’t work. I’m always looking up how to enable exfat usb drives,and the dvd player. Off to analyse bugs

1 Like

Team Ubuntu Budgie:

I see you have released beta for 18.10 today (Friday) - awesome! I had a daily from wednesday, and installed it on my pal’s unsupported macbook. Looks great, but it seems to be missing the wifi drivers. I’m going to return to re-install the LTS 18.04.1.for my pal.

Does your beta for 18.10 have the wifi software? I might suggest the LTS for my pal only because it’s for his kids to use. LTS for Ubuntu derivatives is only 3 years, not 5, am I correct?

It really depends upon what type of wifi you have. If you have broadcom drivers you might need to activate them via the hardware drivers tab in update-manager.

You might genuinely have found a regression in the 4.18 kernel - this should be reported to launchpad.

All of the Ubuntu flavours have decided to take-up the 3 year LTS. Only Ubuntu itself runs a 5 year LTS. Most people though rarely use the full 3 years - they upgrade from LTS to LTS somewhere between the 2 to 3 year mark.