How to return to Slick Greeter?

Hi All!

So. Like many others, I wanted to change the background on the Budgie unlock screen, so after searching here and not finding an answer, I turned to (gulp) reddit. When will I learn!?!?!?! :woman_facepalming:

Following their instructions, they said I could change the unlock screen background with the Lightdm-gtk greeter tool. So I tried that.

Now I have successfully changed the background, but lost the regular Ubuntu greeter (slick) on reboot. Since I do share my laptop from time to time with my DH, he also has an account. Which no longer appears on the greeter screen - not can I choose my sessions between GNOME & Budge any more. Their instructions seem to have led me down the path of the GTK greeter.

Now just I roll right into Budgie, which is delicious for me - quick boot, no hassle, but my hubs may take issue with this situation! :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Oops! Any tips for the best was to back outta this situation and go back to the lovely Ubuntu Slick greeter? Don’t really want to trust Reddit this time. . . .

Thanks in advance.

What instructions were you following?

BTW - to change the lock screen background simply use Menu - Backgrounds. You can change the lockscreen background (right hand side option).

If you want to change the background on the slick-greeter window permanently use Menu - Login Window.

1 Like

Ty!

Ha ha ha! Well know I’m in a world of hurt! The instructions suggested that I do this with the Lightdm-GTK-Greeter, which does in fact do the job, but also appears to have wiped out my Ubuntu greeter and the ability of anyone else to login! It seems as if I may have accidentally installed the Lightdm GTK greeter fully somehow?
Ok, but such is life. Now how to recover?

I’m thinking I need to remove the Lightdm-GTK-greeter & in the lightdm config file set the greeter back to the default Ubuntu.

So I’m thinking maybe something like:

sudo apt-get purge lightdm-gtk-greeter*
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:lightdm-gtk-greeter-team/stable
sudo apt-get update 

I hope. Then I have to find the find the file that reads the greeter, ubuntu.conf
and change its entry back to the default ubuntu greeter? Which as above, I think is slick-greeter?

Then do I have to repackage the lightdm or . . . honestly I’m a little vague here, but right now I’m in a bit of a mess.

Ty for your quick response! Very grateful.

FIXED!
purging the lightdm greeter, autoremoving its dependencies, then repacking lightdm with the slick greeter was all that was required!

Thanks so much for your help! :smiley:

1 Like

Perhaps you can provide some more information to the rest of us how as to you did this? Because there are other people here who would like the same.

And maybe show a screenshot of what it looks like afterwards? I know they are not so easy to take while logged out. But perhaps with your phone or something.