How To Switch Audio Devices Automatically When Plugged In

Hi! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m new to Budgie, freshly installed, and I’ve noticed a bit of an embuggerance: the OS doesn’t automatically switch to a new audio device when it’s plugged in. So when I plug my headphones into the headphone jack, sound keeps coming out of the speakers, so I have to set the headphones as output device manually from the settings. If I unplug the headphones, I once again have to go to manually set the speakers as a sound device.

Is there a way for this to happen automatically? Or at the very least some applet for the sidebar so that I can very quickly switch audio devices without going to the settings?

sounds like a bug with your specific headphones.

For my headphones when I plug them in the sound automatically switches.

I just tried out a different pair of headphones, but it’s not that. It behaves the same.

Then its an issue specific to your jack sound device - so sound devices are usually a kernel issue.

What version of UB are you using - what kernel?

Have you checked with the daily live session for 22.04 and see if the 5.15 kernel works better with your hardware?

I’m on 20.4 LTS, the kernel is 5.13.0-37-generic x86_64 . I haven’t really looked into the 5.15, because I’m quite wary to switch to a daily release. I’d rather wait another month and update to something more stable.

If it’s a kernel thing, then I suppose all I can do is wait for the new LTS in April. Thanks for talking to me! :slight_smile:

I would write an image to a USB stick and just boot into the live session - you dont need to install it.