KDE Connect, MConnect, GConnect?

Looking for some sort of desktop / android integration. I know there’s a few options available, but they’re all spins of KDE Connect I believe.

Which of these 3 should I try installing, if any? Hoping to not fork up my system just from trying some random install.

https://community.kde.org/KDEConnect

1 Like

We had some interest in this earlier in the year. But I think it lost some steam (@fossfreedom - correct me if I am wrong).

I also know that Ubuntu (proper) was looking at the gconnect variety, but decided to hold off as the author is doing a rewrite.

Correct. Its still something on my radar.

For the moment the only real viable solution is the KDE Application Indicator which is known to work just fine on UB.

Ack, its function was far from “just fine” for me. It’s been a while though so I’ll retry it.

I’d stick with g or m connect. If i remember, when i was testing them out, they didn’t come with all the kde dependency bloat that kde does.
although, that being said, both m and g connect are scaled down variants/spinoffs/forks of kde connect…so expect some functionality lose.

Reviving an old topic, but on UB 19.10 I can’t get Gnome Shell Extensions to work, therefore, GSConnect won’t work.

Steps:

1. sudo apt-get install chrome-gnome-shell

2. Install https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/gnome-shell-integration

3. Restart Firefox, go to the Addon settings, you will see an error, pointing to install python-requests.

4. sudo apt-get install python-requests

5. Restart Firefox, go to the Addon settings, the same error is shown without pointing to install python-requests.
    Unable to locate GNOME Shell settings or version. Make sure it is installed and running.

Is there a better way to easily share files/links/text to/from Android via local WiFi (instead of obvious cloud solutions)?
On Windows 10 I used Easyjoin. You need to launch the app on both devices first for it to work. For Linux there is no native version…

gnome shell extensions are written only for GNOME Shell. No other desktop environment such as Budgie, XFCE etc etc can use gnome-shell extensions.

KDE Connect is the recommended phone sharing solution for SMS, files etc etc - despite its name it has very little KDE requirements.

For 20.04 we are shipping by default go-mtpfs - so your phone when connected via USB automatically appear in Nemo Computer:// section so you can copy files back/forth.

Actually my Pixel (1) phone already shows up automatically in Nemo. I didn’t have to install anything :slight_smile: I can browse files and copy easily via cable this way.

KDEConnect I was afraid it would install a whole lot of KDE dependencies?