Let's choose new icon theme for Ubuntu Budgie

Tela look nice, but I like Korla icons too as little departure from the flat design meme.

1 Like

Tela look nice, but I like Korla icons too as little departure from the flat design meme.

Why do you say it is a ā€œmemeā€?

In loose way flat design and material design are a meme of computer/e-culture that have been prevalent in theme, icon, and wallpaper, design for a number of years. Search google now wallpapers for example. Back on topic now ! :grinning:

1 Like

Why not use Yaru? Itā€™s a great icon theme as well

Tela has my vote, but TBH - Both should be packaged up and included. Circle vs no Circle is a preference such as a light vs dark theme.

$0.02 w/ inflation.

My only critique of Tela circle is that the folder icon needs to be changed - it looks off and no longer looks like a folder at all when applying.

Whatever theme, it should support color-folder.

ā€¦the full circle thing is weird : it slows distiction when everything looks the exact same shape.

1 Like

I do not disagree with this from a UX POV. But this is part of why I was suggesting both versions. In my use case I almost exclusively launch apps by a search, and my mind loves the uniformity. I would agree that the non-circular version should be the default.

The Qogir theme looks good.

Why isnā€™t Papirus being considered again?
:thinking:

3 Likes

+1 for Qogir icon theme
I have one more good reason to like it. Use in my Freebsd 12.1 workstationā€™s KDE5 Plasma Desktop too :wink:

Tela +1 - just fine by me.

One of the reason is that we can influence more or less the direction of how we want icons to look and adding new stuff, fixes, thanks to having @vinceliuice onboard. Also Tela icons are based on Papirus so icons so it kinda adds the best of both worlds.

1 Like

I actually like the default one that comes with 20.04 :upside_down_face:
But I think papirus should be considered, because it has the biggest icon library out there and still gets updated.

regards,

1 Like

Hi everyone,

We have a test PPA for you to review the icon choice we are looking closely at for 20.10

This PPA is for 20.04 users

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/pocillo-tela
sudo apt upgrade

Logout and login

From budgie-desktop settings choose the ā€œPocillo-Telaā€ icon theme. Note - the folder icons from Pocillo we consider a better fit for UB hence ā€œPocillo-Telaā€ rather than just Tela.

Additionally we are considering changing the default theme from Pocillo to Pocillo-Dark

After testing - you can revert easily via

sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/pocillo-tela

Logout and login

Let us know your thoughts.

1 Like

Circle icons for folder is a big no for me.

Have you noticed the new Yaru color for Papirus ?
With Adapta ( DeepOrange ) theme itā€™s very nice ( to me - bye bye blueā€¦ )

To be honest - whatever chosen for default - I just hope theme + icons will be available in many variant colors + folder-color compatible.

I do really like these new icons. My minor complaint is similar to @Coeur-Noir. The icon for ā€œFilesā€ is round, and while it doesnā€™t bother me too much in the menu, it looks odd to me when it is on the icon task list. Personal preference really, but I changed this one icon to something else in the menu editor, and am really happy how everything looks. Iā€™d definitely use this as my default icons.

In some of the tests, the round folder icons have been overridden by David. :+1:

1 Like

I agree with you. Good spot. What icon did you choose instead? The standard ā€œFolderā€ icon?

The one I changed it to is ā€œdefault-folderā€. It was the closest one I found to the appearance of the default, without the circle look.