I have been using this distro since its beginning I think, and its my main daily driver for a year now.
What I like about it :
- Very ez customization with cool themes and applets, looks fine and its almost work-ready out-of-the-box.
- Budgie desktop design, very practical with tilix.
- Its very stable and reliable, I have few times crashed my kernel by using custom debian repos but with snapper or timeshift I never need to reinstall entire OS.
- Lots of little useful scripts like menu for opening files with nemo, or just ll being aliased by default, nice to have at start and less work to do.
What I dont like :
- No kernel type choices, but I guess its a standard for ubuntu.
- Can be sometimes a bit slower than ie cinnamon based ubuntu distros, or most of the arch based distros.
- Preinstalled and enabled by default SMB, 90% of linux security flaws is related to this and I dont know anybody that has it turned on all the time.
- Preinstalled Rhytmbox, I cant get my way with it, it just stops playing always after one song, plus it opens some tcp port on a local machine when Im just listening music, very crappy app.
- Not installed by default important terminal tools like ie traceroute. Is there even anybody who uses linux and dont need console utils like this? Without my terminal tools i could be simply just running Windows.
Some suggestions, things to polish up:
- Bash is a song of the past, every productive person uses now zsh or fish, lookup manjaro zsh default config and create something with autocompletion, suggestions etc, maybe mix it with some cool powerline status bar, linux users loves this stuff. I know I can do it myself but its about what you as devs can do to make your distro better.
- Gnome screensaver daemon should work with xscreensaver, like it does on linux mint.
- Some of applets from older budgie version seem gone, like showing an output of the command, this was so good and it should be restored.
- Pocillo icon theme is a decent one but feels bit old, I am always changing it to ie la capitaine theme from keeferrourke’s github and its licensed gnu so something like this could replace pocillo icon theme in the future, you have only one chance to make a good first impression on a user and it would help I think.
Thank you for your work with Ubuntu Budgie and take care. Best regards.