Need help learning how to allow new hard ware

I’m new to linex and Ubuntu and would like to upgrade my hard ware soon. I was hopping to get some help learning how the os works and learning how to register new hardware and turn no usb ports; I know almost nothing about programming as well.

Hello and welcome @Mensmight !

If you are looking to learn Linux you are in for a fun time. This OS will let you to do things other proprietary OS won’t allow you. It might take some time to figure things out but it is not as hard as it seems.

If you want to upgrade or replace hardware, a first good place to start is check Ubuntu Certified Hardware lists. Getting something from this list, will most likely make your life easier. Certified hardware | Ubuntu

Other ways to get Linux compatible hardware, is to purchase through linux-first companies, such as System76, Tuxedo, Entroware, Slimbook.

Regarding enabling USB ports, there is usually nothing you need to do at the OS level to enable USB ports. If those are recognized by the system, all you have to do is install new hardware (motherboard, laptop, etc), power on, install Ubuntu, and that’s it.
It might be worth checking in your BIOS to make sure your devices are enabled there, but that is hardware specific, not Linux.

If you want to learn the basics of Linux, there are many resources available. A couple of examples:
https://training.linuxfoundation.org/resources/

2 Likes

thanks for the reply. do any of the linex first company make NVMe (M.2) Drive Slots for a pci-e 1.0 x1? or maybe a capture card?

read for more info:
What are PCIe X1 Slots Used For? Ultimate Beginner's Guide

NVMe (M.2) and PCI-E are standard technologies, you don’t need to worry about compatibility with Linux. If your motherboard has the slot, it is most likely going to work. If you order your NVMe drive online, you usually have 7 to 8 days to return, no questions asked. In the very unlikely event it won’t work, you can always return it.

Regarding capture cards, I believe hauppauge supports Ubuntu on many of their products. You can look here: Hauppauge Support | Running WinTV TV tuners and HD PVR 2 under Linux