Home Store Blog

Nemo "open in terminal" does not work

Hi,

I’m using nemo as my default file manager.
However, the button “open in terminal” does not open tilix, instead nothing happens when I click it. If I remember correctly, it did work on my laptop.
Is there a place where I set this up? Open in terminal works correctly in nautilus.

Seems the default is to open gnome-terminal

Odd. Very odd. Found this on Unix SE… so have an experiment with the gsettings key that it mentions

hey, thanks for your reply.
I’ve tried to set it via
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec 'tilix'
suggested here as well as

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec tilix

But in both cases I get this message:

GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(process:5633): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: unknown schema extension 'd'

(process:5633): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: unknown schema extension 'd'

and the value does not get saved. any idea?

I’ve installed gnome-terminal and nemo opens that. so I’ll have to change the gsettings for org.cinnamon.desktop.default-applications.terminal somehow.

A quick Google for the memory message reveals a variety of possible causes. I don’t know what your setup is. For example do you have a different python installed from default? Do you have custom binaries that you have built?

This?

The tilix gsettings is definitely the way to go here.

Maybe you can use dconf-editor to edit that value manually

I got it, thanks! I’ve also came across something matplotlib related, but I thought that can’t be related.
The problem was that my anaconda env with python 3 was the first python in my path.

So here is the full solution:

1. make sure the default python is the first in your path
  2. then run gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec tilix

After that it worked.
Btw the terminal shortcut ctrl + alt + t does often not work. Do you have any idea why?

well found!

For ctrl + alt + t see this thread … and suggestion Volume up-down, calculator, ctr-ALTl T, windows key +A and more, not working anymore