New face to Ubuntu Budgie?

We love our default desktop wallpaper - it has been at the heart of UB since the beginning of our budgie-remix days.

Untitled

But we know there are great artists out there - do you fancy designing a new wallpaper? Maybe a similar abstract & colors - flare type concepts?

Go on - get your artistic hats on!

4 Likes

Is abstract a must? You may cut down submissions if that is the only option. Just a thought. Maybe accept more options and potentially let the community vote?

Abstract is probably the best - but easily persuaded ā€¦ but it needs to be great!

1 Like

Yeah - I guess it is all a matter of opinion. :slight_smile: I just more so meant for the submissions - and getting a greater volume of people submitting stuff.

If it is that it must be abstract, would you like the same colors, new colors, a color scheme maybe? Any kind of direction in the color depqrtment will help a lot.

I think David might be looking for more of the same to stick to a ā€œfamiliarā€ branding.

KDE Plasma is a great example of the branding. Their wallpapers for each major version clearly evolve and have different design, but with enough callbacks to prior versions and themes so that itā€™s instantly recognizable as KDE.

If I may add. The new wallpaper might want to reflect what Budgie is and how it distances itself from the Gnome desktop. Compile a bunch of descriptors, like; intuitive, minimal, beautiful, airy.

Think of concepts that illustrate this, examples; busy road leading to a clear path. A more abstract example; cloudy to clear, misty to illuminous, heavy to light.

Anyway, maybe that thought process might help someone.

Here on Github I have just created some Wallpapers with 4K resolution :slight_smile: Let me know about any ideasā€¦
Thank you.

4 Likes

Absolutely stunning all three - 1 & 3 are brilliant in my eyes :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you ā€¦!! :smile:

Wow, really nice! While I too like 1 and 3 most, 2 is nice and different enough that all 3 could be included. Perhaps all 3 could benefit from a touch more bluish-blue.

Still love the current original.

I was skulking around Google images, and this image/lockscreen change vitux.com made is actually quite nice and the colors work. Is this official or something the site found on its own?:

That is found all over the internet https://tineye.com/search/36c888fde199f51250dda2874ac836cc3ab50b9f/

Hi. Iā€™m Chamos. Iā€™m new to UB so I hope my opinion doesnā€™t step on anyoneā€™s toes.

Sparkly wallpaper is not my cup of tea. I much prefer the type of wallpaper with an embedded logo. This is probably not the correct terminology so here is an example.

I can download pretty wallpapers anywhere but, IMHO, unique distro specific wallpapers project a greater professional image.

Remember - that goes against the ethos of Ubuntu and its flavours. Generally we all work as one team - and one part of the team (budgie wallpapers) should work nicely on another part of the team (e.g. xubuntu). So we discourage logos.

There is no harm though on having a ā€˜faceā€™ where the colours and style represent a distro - and thatā€™s what we are interested here in finding - a revised face to give a refreshed image.

Ah I wasnā€™t aware of that. Iā€™m not sure about what you mean by ā€œfaceā€. Do you mean a pattern that can be recognised in each wallpaper?

face is the bit that is most recognisable about a distro. So our current wallpaper is something we use to promote ourselves. Magazines/blogs pick up on this and our image spreads.

So here we are looking for basically a continuation - something that just feels that it represents ourselves - colours, styling etc.

Hello, Just created another Wallpaper here Galaxy Ubuntu Budgie Wallpaper check it out.! :smile:

1 Like

Very nice wallpaper! The Ubuntu Budgie default wallpaper is very nice, also. Itā€™s a perfect fit and itā€™s hard to beat perfection. In fact, Ubuntu Budgie is the only distribution I currently use that Iā€™ve left the default wallpaper in place. I use a few other distributions regularly and have changed the wallpapers on all but Budgie. The galaxy wallpaper fits nicely and keeps the feel of the original intact. It would be a welcome alternative to choose from.