Nonfunctional keybindings led me to odd budgie-daemon behavior

So this all started with Keyboard, the settings menu. I set up most of the first group of bindings.

• Web browser → super+w
  • Terminal → super+q
  • Calculator → super+c
  • Home → super + e
  • Search → super + s

They didn’t work with alt and they didn’t work with Super. Pressing super causes a small disembodied text box to appear and do nothing for a while. I went troubleshooting for a few hours. I made sure Super wasn’t the window key, tried to make sure my daemons were working fine. That’s when this happened.

nori@noribox:~$ budgie-daemon
** Message: 15:39:59.999: libsession.vala:50: DESKTOP_AUTOSTART_ID not set, session registration may be broken (not running budgie-desktop?)
^C
nori@noribox:~$ budgie-desktop
nori@noribox:~$ budgie-daemon
** Message: 15:40:28.456: libsession.vala:50: DESKTOP_AUTOSTART_ID not set, session registration may be broken (not running budgie-desktop?)

** (budgie-daemon:629): WARNING **: 15:40:34.022: main.vala:29: budgie-daemon lost d-bus name org.budgie_desktop.BudgieOSD
** Message: 15:40:34.022: main.vala:32: Replaced existing budgie-daemon

** (budgie-daemon:629): WARNING **: 15:40:34.022: main.vala:29: budgie-daemon lost d-bus name org.budgie_desktop.MenuManager

** (budgie-daemon:629): WARNING **: 15:40:34.022: main.vala:29: budgie-daemon lost d-bus name org.budgie_desktop.TabSwitcher

** (budgie-daemon:629): WARNING **: 15:40:34.023: main.vala:29: budgie-daemon lost d-bus name org.budgie_desktop.Session.EndSessionDialog

So… any ideas?

if your run budgie-wm --replace &! or logout and login do things start working again?

What version of budgie-desktop are you using? budgie-desktop --version and what version of Ubuntu Budgie are you using?

nori@noribox:~$ budgie-wm --replace &!
[1] 8068
nori@noribox:~$
(budgie-wm:8068): mutter-CRITICAL **: 18:40:04.364: meta_sound_player_play_from_theme: assertion ‘META_IS_SOUND_PLAYER (player)’ failed

It never recovered, I had to ctrl-c

nori@noribox:~$ budgie-desktop --version
budgie-desktop 10.5
Copyright © 2014-2019 Budgie Desktop Developers

Ubuntu Budgie 19.10 eoan

It’s still not working. I’ll try logging again now.

Strangely I’m having trouble logging out.

It does sound that you have either uninstalled something critical or upgraded a critical package that is breaking stuff through a PPA - not sure what though.

I had to “busier” out of it. I think bitcoind was hassling my logout. My keybindings work now! idk how but everything is fine now.