OPERA - This video file cannot be played. (Error Code: 102630) H.264/MP4 - ffmpeg

My Opera browser stop playing videos on certain sites such as Facebook, Pluto TV, XUMO TV, etc. Up until last week everything was fine. Not sure what happened. So I sent this up to Opera, and here’s their response;

" Thank you for your report.

It looks like your report connected with media on Linux OS.

Unfortunately, Opera dem and rpm doesn’t support H.264/MP4 codec natively. We recommend using snap to avoid such problems with codecs.

If you want to fix it manually, please try the following:

Download Chromium, if you don’t have it installed yet.
Now run the following command in Linux Shell: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libs/libffmpeg.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so.32 (this command links the Chromium libffmpeg.so file to Opera).
Restart Opera and visit this site to check that HTML 5 playback works correctly.
Thank you for helping improve Opera!
Best wishes, the Opera QA Team "

So, as Opera support suggested I tried to execute the line below;

sudo ln -s /snap/chromium-ffmpeg/37/chromium-ffmpeg-114023/chromium-ffmpeg/libffmpeg.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so

And here's the output;

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so': No such file or directory

I would appreciate any help

Cheers!

Umm… they say using the snap to fix the issue. I.e. you dont need to do anything else.

If you have opera installed as a deb or rpm you need to do the manual workaround.

The fact that the snap isnt doing what opera says it should should be resolved by opera themselves.

It seems you don’t have any /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so: maybe trying with a locate libffmpeg.so and then check file properties could help

I tried that but it didn’t work

I executed it, here’s the output;

:~$ locate libffmpeg.so

/snap/chromium/2742/usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpeg.so
/snap/chromium/2749/usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpeg.so
/snap/chromium-ffmpeg/34/chromium-ffmpeg-108372/chromium-ffmpeg/libffmpeg.so
/snap/chromium-ffmpeg/34/chromium-ffmpeg-111306/chromium-ffmpeg/libffmpeg.so
/snap/chromium-ffmpeg/37/chromium-ffmpeg-108372/chromium-ffmpeg/libffmpeg.so
/snap/chromium-ffmpeg/37/chromium-ffmpeg-111306/chromium-ffmpeg/libffmpeg.so
/snap/chromium-ffmpeg/37/chromium-ffmpeg-114023/chromium-ffmpeg/libffmpeg.so
/snap/opera/288/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/libffmpeg.so
/snap/opera/289/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/libffmpeg.so
/snap/zoom-client/218/zoom/cef/libffmpeg.so
/usr/bin/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so

Ive been constantly checking for new updates since last week hoping an update would fix my issue. It finally happened. I didn’t really pay attention what the published updates were but after tilix finished installing the updates, I immediately tried playing videos on my Opera browser and noticed that the issue has been resolved. Thanks everyone!