Just a few notes as to ideas the team are having for 21.10. Its still early days and plans will crystallise in May - this thread will be updated as and when. If you have any ideas that you wish to pursue please let us know - we’ll try our best to make your hard work a reality.
- Expand the team: We need a book-keeper to manage our finances - basically to review the last few years and get the books in order
- Expand the team: Generally we need enthusiastic people to join - people who want to make a difference bringing whatever skills they currently have to enable Ubuntu Budgie to ‘fly’
- New github Ubuntu Budgie website. The whole website should be static markdown pages. This will enable everyone to contribute to the website via a standard git pull request. Nikola is leading with this.
- Infrastructure overhaul - website: we have had a number of outages over the last few months. The website needs to be fully resilient. Plans are afoot to resolve. Dustin and Nate are leading with this.
- Infrastructure overhaul - continuous integration: We need to get better to find potential issues earlier and faster. Dustin and Nate are leading with this.
- Raspberry Pi image: Sam is leading the charge here. Ideas include
a. support for the Pi Compute Module 4
b. Adding a command line interface to perform functions in a scripted manner
c. Allow FindMyPi to work on a Pi … not just on a intel processor
d. Tidy up remote access in the TweakTool to provide an option to set autologin/turn off screenlock
e. Generally tidy up the interface to show much more easily what all the options means via a hints box
- Window Shuffler:
a. A whole rejig of how shuffler control works is afoot. Once bottomed out Jacob will say how things will work in the future. The idea is to make things more intuitive.
b. Enable tiling by default
- Work with upstream to upload a new “Budgie Screensaver” - don’t get too excited - this is to fix what GNOME Shell 40 broke. I will be leading on this
- Create packages for nemo-preview - this will allow you to preview files by pressing Space on the file-manager. Updates to Budgie Welcome Recommendations to be done. I will be leading on this.
- Upload Budgie Desktop v10.5.x - new release from upstream is imminent - need to ensure this works for Debian Trixie and Ubuntu 21.10 … together with GNOME 41. Lots of head scratching here. I will be leading on this.
- GTK 4.x theme. This is the big one and a whole thread is provided to discuss The future of theming - your thoughts
- Review backports - make things work for Ubuntu 21.10 - drop things that is deemed obsolete which includes themes that dont have GTK+ 4 support. This will involve budgie-welcome changes. This is on my head to-do - so no grumbling when your favourite thing disappears - I’m going to be ruthless - everything currently in backports is going to be closely looked at. If there isn’t a “upstream” to-do the maintenance then things will be dropped. Opportunities exist to prevent this happening!. Potential candidates to be removed:
a. Budgie Pixel Saver Applet
b. Budgie Browser Profile Launcher Applet
c. EvoPop theme
d. Ant theme
e. Paper Icons
f. Skippy XD
g. Budgie Lightpad Applet/Lightpad
h. Budgie Haste Applet
- Installer Slideshow desparately needs a refresh with new screenshots - need someone to lead here. Your chance to update the installer slideshow for 21.10