Plans for 21.10

Just a few notes as to ideas the team are having for 21.10. Its still early days and plans will crystallise in May - this thread will be updated as and when. If you have any ideas that you wish to pursue please let us know - we’ll try our best to make your hard work a reality.

1. Expand the team: We need a book-keeper to manage our finances - basically to review the last few years and get the books in order > Welcome to @ilvipero for stepping up.
  2. Expand the team: Generally we need enthusiastic people to join - people who want to make a difference bringing whatever skills they currently have to enable Ubuntu Budgie to ‘fly’
  3. New github Ubuntu Budgie website. The whole website should be static markdown pages. This will enable everyone to contribute to the website via a standard git pull request. Nikola is leading with this.
  4. Infrastructure overhaul - website: we have had a number of outages over the last few months. The website needs to be fully resilient. Plans are afoot to resolve. Dustin and Nate are leading with this.
  5. Infrastructure overhaul - continuous integration: We need to get better to find potential issues earlier and faster. Dustin and Nate are leading with this.
  6. Raspberry Pi image: Sam is leading the charge here. Ideas include
    a. support for the Pi Compute Module 4 > Done
    b. Adding a command line interface to perform functions in a scripted manner > Done
    c. Allow FindMyPi to work on a Pi … not just on a intel processor > Done
    d. Tidy up remote access in the TweakTool to provide an option to set autologin/turn off screenlock > Done
    e. Generally tidy up the interface to show much more easily what all the options means via a hints box > Done
  7. Window Shuffler:
    a. A whole rejig of how shuffler control works is afoot. Once bottomed out Jacob will say how things will work in the future. The idea is to make things more intuitive.
    b. Enable tiling by default
  8. Work with upstream to upload a new “Budgie Screensaver” - don’t get too excited - this is to fix what GNOME Shell 40 broke. I will be leading on this
  9. Create packages for nemo-preview - this will allow you to preview files by pressing Space on the file-manager. Updates to Budgie Welcome Recommendations to be done. I will be leading on this.
  10. Upload Budgie Desktop v10.5.x - new release from upstream is imminent - need to ensure this works for Debian Trixie and Ubuntu 21.10 … together with GNOME 41. Lots of head scratching here. I will be leading on this.
  11. GTK 4.x theme. This is the big one and a whole thread is provided to discuss The future of theming - your thoughts
  12. Review backports - make things work for Ubuntu 21.10 - drop things that is deemed obsolete which includes themes that dont have GTK+ 4 support. This will involve budgie-welcome changes. This is on my head to-do - so no grumbling when your favourite thing disappears - I’m going to be ruthless - everything currently in backports is going to be closely looked at. If there isn’t a “upstream” to-do the maintenance then things will be dropped. Opportunities exist to prevent this happening!. Potential candidates to be removed:
    a. Budgie Pixel Saver Applet
    b. Budgie Browser Profile Launcher Applet
    c. EvoPop theme
    d. Ant theme
    e. Paper Icons
    f. Skippy XD
    g. Budgie Lightpad Applet/Lightpad
    h. Budgie Haste Applet
  13. Pragmatically for the above deprecation - budgie-welcome can advertise the need for a maintainer - html skills needed Plans for 21.10 - #24 by fossfreedom
  14. Installer Slideshow desparately needs a refresh with new screenshots - need someone to lead here. Your chance to update the installer slideshow for 21.10
  15. Look ahead to using the new Ubuntu Installer in 22.04 - test out the Git installer here to see what needs changing for Ubuntu Budgie GitHub - canonical/ubuntu-desktop-installer
1 Like

Hello I’m a web developer can I help you with the website? I’m not sure who is Nikola

Hi, Phosphorus :slight_smile: Thanks for expressing the interest in website development. Feel free to send me PM so that we could chat about it, the progress of redesign etc.

I’ve padded out now the backport candidates that maybe removed from 21.10 onwards

I guess you don’t want to keep maintaining Budgie Pixel Saver Applet by yourself (thanks for that by the way), but it would be a big loss in terms of selling arguments, hence attractivity.

If you want a to-do list to keep you busy maintaining it, I can provide you with some ideas of improvement. :laughing:

sure - its something that interested me at 20.04 since it was a challenge to rework. But for something I don’t use I seem to have to spend more time than I really want to.

I would prefer someone to come along-side here to help out - hence why I am raising this early.

Add Wireguard support in Network Manager to easily add/remove and toggle Wg VPN connections. Not sure if this is already planned by Ubuntu. Both Fedora and KDE already support this.

Workaround, a plugin for network manager, but don’t know if it would survive a OS update of network manager:
GitHub - max-moser/network-manager-wireguard: NetworkManager VPN Plugin: Wireguard

Alternative workaround that would survive:
Using Wireguard when your Linux Distro hasn't caught up yet

What about its ideal companion, global-menu ?

Those two applets should merge together, sort of, sharing a common aim : save space for main window by providing a smart use of top panel.

The global menu is the byproduct from another project which produces a menu for his vala panel project, xfce and budgie.

Doubtful that he would be interested in integrating a desktop specific thing such as pixel saver.

Ain’t pixel-saver used by other DE ~ I mean the « concept » of pixel-saver ( removing buttons from maximized window bar and show them in a panel-applet ) ?

It sounds weird to me to do one ( buttons ) without the other ( menus ) but any use-case should be considered, not only mine !

The Unite extension for Gnome is pretty much the same as Pixel Saver applet. Without any kind of global menu.

I love Unite and Pixel Saver Applet for the vertical gain, the consistency and how it all come together very integrated with them, but I have no interest in global menu personally.

I enjoy both so much I even use them on my 65" 4K TV (monitor for the HTPC/desktop), where I don’t really need the vertical gains. :sweat_smile:

So, it doesn’t seem weird from my point of view.

Because you need both to save vertical space :

Using hours a day at work programs that do have a « menu » it’s not a size screen issue ( 27" here ) but giving priority to the content of the main window while having menus always at a predictable place.

Unite extension does not apply here on Budgie ( and was not very polished last time I’ve tried it, a couple of weeks ago, buttons looked weird, sometimes freezing ).

Well, I was mentioning Unite because you were asking if the concept of pixel saver is used on other DEs. And the answer is Unite.
I’m not sure I understand why you now say it doesn’t apply on Budgie. I know it doesn’t but you specifically asked about other DEs.
Unite is actually way more polished than Budgie Pixel Saver Applet and can do a bit more as well. I’d love Pixel Saver to reach that level of polish.

Regarding vertical space, I totally agree with you and your screenshot, although most apps have hamburger menus these days.
And if not, you can picture this on a two story building basis.
You got the ground floor (vanilla Budgie and Gnome), then you have Pixel Saver as the first floor and a first vertical gain, then global menu is the second floor and even further vertical gain.
First floor is enough for me, while you climb the extra staircase because you prefer the two-fold gains of global menus.

Gimp ? LibreOffice ? Scribus ? Inkscape ? Or any « heavy » editors.

Hamburger menus are for « little / short » menus. Not full-featured app’s.

You’re right about Unite, it’s in the same concept - but I can’t see why Pixel-saver is not polished ( its theming/styling aside ) as it does its job while offering some options. And can be used many times in a panel if needed ( on one position for title, in other position for buttons ).

Wish global-menu had some options ( show nothing on desktop or ability to chose what to show and how ) but I did not dig much into the exclusion list : maybe we can exclude it itself from desktop ?

Not every app has a hamburger menu indeed. :grinning:
But it’s a clear trend. Included for full-featured apps. Even KDE is now offering hamburger menus as a choice.

Pixel saver is not as polished as Unite because in Unite you don’t get the inconsistencies you were mentioning in another topic. And it has 2 dozens options to make it exactly the way you like.

Also, and it’s the icing on the cake for me (cerise sur le gâteau :wink:), you can grab the window from the empty space in the titlebar/panel with a huge grabbing space (when you don’t have global menus, and with an extension to send the clock on the right) and drop it for unmaximizing while you have to double clik on a specific area for Pixel Saver. I remember mentioning that almost a year ago already.

See screenshot of unite, With Pixel Saver you have to double click on the Firefox label (not as large) to unmaximize. With Unite, you can grab anywhere between Firefox and the first icon on the right and drop below to unmaximize. It feels very natural.

Budgie Pixel Saver is already great, I’m not complaining here. But for me Unite is next level.

Mmm, yes, yes, I see. Though I can live without the « grabbing » thing because my windows are maximized each in its workspace, so I switch between them using app’s icons in panel or workspace switcher, I don’t really care where they are as long as I can quickly jump to one or the other.

And there are window actions here :
window_actions
…ok, it’s slower than grabbing.

But I really appreciate when top panel merges « window buttons + menus » and help giving ( a little ) more room for the main app’ I’m currently working with. ( and ellipses… Budgie lacks global style guidelines maybe ).

Hamburgers buttons are slower ( more clicks needed ) and don’t help with muscle memory as lists/menus are hidden. A full worded menu in my language is meaningful, and thus easier to remind globally. Well, guess it, I don’t understand that CSD trend. For me it comes from people who don’t use « desktop » computer for « real life » work. Maybe it’s because Linux is not enough used in « real life » work and only by dev’s, IT-people and geeks ? ( and all these trends are ok for their « real life » work - don’t misread me on this ).

O sorry. Let’s go back to topic.

Let’s talk about multi-monitors support ?
Or setting position for panel-as-a-dock, else than centered ? With a « don’t reserve space » mode like in Xfce ? ( this would help to get rid of empty top panel ).
Adding the « favorites » feature to Nemo, plus tracker for more accurate « recent files » ?

1 Like

Que gran oportunidad para aportar a este excelente proyecto.

Me gustaría poder aportar de ser posible.

Un cordial saludo.

1 Like

Added testing out the new Ubuntu installer to the first post - i.e. GitHub - canonical/ubuntu-desktop-installer

Ignore my previous post about adding WireGuard support in the UI. It is already there if you rightclick your connection in Panel and go to Connections:

My request would be to have the ability to add a Wireguard VPN connection via Settings, allowing a wireguard client config file to be imported, since this is the common way to create a connection:

EDIT
It seems Gnome does have this already:

So the “Import from file…” option in your screenshot doesn’t work for Wireguard?

GNOME Devs are aware of the request - Support WireGuard in VPN in GNOME Control Center GUI (#982) · Issues · GNOME / Settings · GitLab