Plans for 21.10

This:

when importing a Wireguard client .conf file:

Screenshot from 2021-06-07 10-18-32

When trying via Panel > Connections > + button > Virtual > Wireguard I can manually copy paste the information from the client.conf and add a virtual connection.

After saving:
Screenshot from 2021-06-07 10-28-07

The connection itself:

But then I cannot do anything with it, it won’t be listed as VPN Connection (since it is listed under Virtual Connection).
So I can’t seem to do anything with it, at least not from the UI, no idea how to use it from terminal after adding it via the UI.

Yeah - well you are right - definitely a GUI method is needed - looking at this command line driven approach - lots of complex stuff to navigate https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-set-up-wireguard-vpn-on-ubuntu-20-04/

Actually, with Wireguard generating .conf files for each client, it seems all you have to do is copy that file to the client, save as /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf and enable the service.

Using Ubuntu as a Client with WireGuard | algo

What I would love to see in Ubuntu 21.10: a simpler way to import the conf file (just like you can import OpenVPN files via the UI) and an easy toggle to enable/disable the connection.

For applets that are listed as being deprecated in the first post I think the way forward is to advertise the project as needing a maintainer in welcome-budgie-applets as described here

Anyone with a bit of html skills can help to implement this.

Budgie Pixel Saver Applet now has a new contributor AkiraMiyakoda (Akira Miyakoda) · GitHub.

Changes are described in the 21.10 discourse topic.

Thanks to Akira - Budgie Pixel Saver will no longer be removed from 21.10 and later.

2 Likes

Is there any plan to enable tracker in Nemo to improve the results of « recent files » ?

Actually « recent files » in Nemo only shows things that has been launched « through » Nemo.

If I understand right, if tracker was enabled it might then show anything previously launched through any app tracker is aware of.

Another thing with Nemo : I’ve never been able to use its samba-share feature, it always throws errors.
Even if my samba shares do work - as I deal with them through smb.conf manually.

Since Ubuntu 20.04 there is no longer any simple, graphical tool to deal with samba → something like system-config-samba which allowed to manage samba users and shares.
See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/system-config-samba/+bug/1876999

Having an Ubuntu(Budgie) computer amongst other Windows computers ( or NAS devices ) is not so rare. Such a tool for « easily » managing samba-shares would be a relief ( because samba is everything you want, except easy ). And samba is to be found in many places.

Since I’m here, such an easy graphical tool would also be a relief regarding NFS settings.
There had been attempts, I don’t actually know the state of this one.

It’s sometimes easier to install Warpinator, Syncthing or LANdrop rather than setting regular, ±native shares…

It’s a little late to consider major changes as described in 21.10 with the imminent feature freeze date next week.

Let’s see what the interest is in the 22.04 dev cycle.

I am not familiar with the intracasies here, so a willing partner who can run with all the investigation & research tasks here is needed.

Similarly, if there are issues with nemo-share, then why? It needs research to resolve.

Ouch, that sounds like a trap :wink: I was not aware that problems with Nemo and Samba were years long… nemo samba share – Qwant Search
There are workarounds, unfixed bugs here and there… Note that Nautilus nowadays don’t have these problems with samba ( that’s how I « fixed » : installed Nautilus, did the shares, bookmarks and so on with it and once done through Nautilus it’s then OK in Nemo… )

Well I’d like to see a comeback for something like system-config-samba at least. I don’t know if I have the skills to help but I may test things.

With the rumoured native read-write NTFS support in the 5.15 kernel this will make things easier, assuming of course that software developers make the necessary changes to adjust & adapt.

Well… samba shares are often remote ( other computers, nas, on a local network ) not sure the parangon driver will help unless used by cifs.

Regarding NFS, when I looked into it a couple years ago, I first tried the tool you are referring to as I wanted an easy GUI way to make it work, but I couldn’t make anything run with it.
I’m afraid your best solution is to manually configure NFS, and then add the shared folders to fstab, so that you only have to set it once.
That’s the only way it’s worked for me.
For manual configuration, after a bit of research and lengthy complicated tutorials, the one that did the trick for me is the official Ubuntu one: Service - NFS | Ubuntu
It’s the simplest I’ve found that just works, including on Manjaro.

It requires defining specific IPs for the computers involved in your router though. If you do it only at computer level, the router might attribute that IP to another device while the computer is not active, leading to conflicts.

I don’t use samba, as I only have Linux computers, I can’t help you on that. Have you tried with Nautilus?

We are now well past the 21.10 freeze date - so we are now in testing and fixing stage.

Thanks to everyone that have contributed to 21.10 … we need to start thinking about 22.04 which is our long-term service release.