Possible changes / enhancements for 20.10

Network/WiFi icon in Panel:

It is missing an option to show details (like IP address) of the current connection. Even if you just add the ability to open Settings>WiFi or Settings>Network would already be extremely useful.

1 Like

Also, its pretty standard with other O/S, that the clock/calendar turns into a dropdown for calendar on click. EG expected behaviour. Iā€™ll add my suggestion below.

Instead of Raven, make the onclick event for clock/calendar instantiate Raven below the clock/calendar.
Make Raven dropdown configurable area that can include such items as mini calculator as well as media controls. EG when its time/date clicked, it shows calendar, settings, calculator, notices, and so on.
Reasoning: normally time/date is singular and centered in tray, makes it easier target. Making it the singular target adding Raven functions would enhance this item IMHO.

2 Likes

Replace Gedit with Xed instead of Pluma. This is only in the Mint repos not the ubuntu ones sadly, but you can grab the DEBs from the PPA (anyone wanna put it in the ubuntu repos? :p)
Xed is a fork of Pluma which is much more featureful. It also adheres to GTK3 instead of GTK2. Side by side:

1 Like

@fossfreedom Just another to eval for gestures.

But the packaging stuff will be a factor.

That one was the original one (I prefer it because itā€™s ruby)

How is the packaging stuff a factor? I believe ruby/rubygems is preinstalled so you just gotta get the gem.

We do not install Ruby on a default load to my knowledge. Plus you want the system to be updatable via traditional methods. Most users would never know how (or even what a gem or ruby even is) to update a gem. To be included as a default apps need to be packaged either as a Deb or snap. And we do not take on additional packaging lightly. (changes focus, takes time, etc). Limited hours, etc.

2 Likes

Ah I see, never mind.
I may look at deb packaging for it then, but it would require the ruby-full dependency.

1 Like

Something that might be nice: the themes and lay-outs options in ā€œwelcomeā€. Could we have a ā€œtryā€ option? The lay-out one surprised me as it totally reverts all the manual changes made (that makes it a negative experience especially if tinkering took an hour :wink: ).

Approaching it from a different angle: a method to SAVE the current desktop setup might be a cool feature. That might also be neat as a post-install option.

I assume that would require saving all dconf keys that are not set to the default (that will take care of wallpaper, theme and icons) and then save the user desktop files.

Agree with this. Iā€™ll add it to the first post. Correct - the implementation would be to dump the dconf keys - and have a ā€œrestoreā€ type option. Can play with the terminology. Nice tweaky type thing anyone can do

Done! Added a PR for it. :grinning:

1 Like

Well, you donā€™t have to uninstall anything :

in autostart applications ( donā€™t know the english label for that, maybe applications at startup ? )

Ability to LEFT-click on the Applications applet on Plank.
Currently, you are forced to right-click to show the categorised list of applications. Left-click doesnā€™t do anything. This is a bit counter-intuitive, since all items on Plank have a left-click action.

agree with you on this - its very odd. Please raise this (if its not there already) on the plank issue tracker - https://bugs.launchpad.net/plank

Ah yes it was already reported, 4 months ago:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/plank/+bug/1851642

1 Like

Will there be any support for OLED screens? Iā€™m currently stuck on gnome as there is an OLED dimmer extension that has been the only thing that has worked correctly and with the fn keys. There was a budgie brightness applet that worked with oled, but the fn keys didnā€™t work.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but give it a try, works flawless tried it on 2 laptops already: Brightness buttons - Easy way to get laptop buttons working!

Did those 2 laptops have OLED screens? The buttons work on ubuntu budgie, they just donā€™t adjust the brightness. The only thing that has worked for me is the gnome extension when using gnome. On any other distro or desktop environment I have had to use ICC-brightness control but it doesnā€™t work very well. It flashes to max brightness at every increment and needs to be reset by a command constantly.

I would love to see a night light applet with bright options included

Given that there is already a night light applet that comes as default by budgie-desktop, this sort of request/code should really be via a patch to budgie-desktop rather than a whole separate applet. A separate applet would be kind of confusing for folks.

1 Like