Possible changes / enhancements for 20.10

Oh, yeah, I agree. Bad idea haha.
And what about a new clock applet? With a calendar, similar to gnome

We already have the optional budgie-calendar-applet - so it sounds like an enhancement to that project.

Fork & enhance is my first thought here - https://github.com/danielpinto8zz6/budgie-calendar-applet

1 Like

WOW
I swear that I missed this! I didnā€™t know that it was there! Thanks!

Installable via Menu - Budgie Applets

2 Likes

In solus I need to install from source, right?

no idea - sorry. I dont keep track with what is/isnt in their software repository.

1 Like

In lightdm, there should be an indicator for caps/num lock :
ā‹… same as applet in regular Budgie desktop
or
ā‹… near / inside the input text box for login

And Caps + Num lock, not only caps ā€¦ for the many keyboards without LED indicator, or wireless keyboards whose LED canā€™t work under Linux.

After using UB a bit more I really think AlistairG idea is a good idea. A single location for calendar should be Raven (with configurable area), that can be triggered by clicking on the clock. The current Raven indicator is not necessary. Hope this makes it into 20.10.

1 Like

Itā€™s something that I think someone should take on as an applet project. It sounds outside the scope of upstream budgie desktop itself.

This would need to be requested here https://github.com/linuxmint/slick-greeter/issues?page=2&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen

Upstream seldom does changes requested themselves so such a request would have to come with a pull request.

Allow users to enable/disable which devices can wake up the system from sleep, via Ubuntu Settings.

offtopic for who wants this now:
I found this solution, by editing /etc/rc.local, a file that does not exist by default in UB. Therefore I needed to do this first:

printf '%s\n' '#!/bin/bash' 'exit 0' | sudo tee -a /etc/rc.local
sudo chmod +x /etc/rc.local

source

Applets:
Sorry, I dont understand why Budgie Desktop Applets are not part of the desktop settings UI.
Under Top Panel either same group: Applets,Settings,New or Top Panel divided into Applets, and New Applets (or similar).

1 Like

Coming from Firefox web shortcuts do not show an icon I wonder why it has never been addressed a way or anotherā€¦

Ability by drag and drop to Ā« pin Ā» a Ā« shortcut Ā» to a web-page into dock or panel or desktop.

A full functional .desktop file automatically created when you dā€™nā€™d a web-link from your internet-browser onto these common areas of an OS.

Hoping this will be enabled by default in 20.04 when Budgie is installed on a laptop. If not, please do so for 20.10.
If necessary run a check if the device has an integrated keyboard/display.

ā€œOnboard Settingsā€ > Layout > Full Keyboard with edit and function keys

Is this still up?
If so, please consider implementing a window preview in the Icon Task List when on hover. Just like in Windows and Cinnamon.

Also, transparent blur option for the panel could be cool.

Transparent blur does interest me for the panel. Blur was made available in GNOME 3.36 version of mutter - how though that translate into actually using it I have no idea. So if someone can research that then that will be helpful.

1 Like

Also, a few ideas came to my mind now that you are asking for possible changes and enhancements:

• I know itā€™s been said. A bottom bar friendly Applications Menu. With shortcut icons to settings, internet browser, directories, etc. Like in Cinnamon (Yes, again. Thatā€™s where I come from :slight_smile:)

• An applet to contain other applets so you can hide and show them whenever you like (You can take Windows and KDE Plasma as examples. I havenā€™t seen it anywhere else).

• Search button in the Applets Menu and Desktops mini-applications Menu (Iā€™m not sure I translated that correctly).

• More customizable applets. There arenā€™t many options to customize applets in their respective menus (cool menus btw). Some of them doesnā€™t even have settings.
    I can help you listing all the settings that should be available for each of the main applets.

all great ideas. As I said though in the initial post - translating ideas into implementation takes talented developers.

So offers of help are most welcome!

Could you give a few examples of settings you are missing?

An enhancement for Ā« Lock Keys Indicator Ā» ā†’ ability to trigger state ( caps, num ) by mouse.

Why such a need, would you ask ?

Well, in case of remote desktop, itā€™s very convenient to be able to change these through GUI !!!
Or in case of broken or unsupported keyboardā€¦

A bit like these, aimed at Unity :