Q: Is it likely to work with no additional hitches?

Environment: Core-i5-4690, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD + 1TB HD, nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Philips Briliance 288P 4K monitor.

Is Ubuntu Bugie 18.04 x64 Likely to enable the 4K?

Outside known issues (lack of right-click on mouse for example)

Any help in this consideration will be greatly appreciated.

That’s a fairly common setup. Should be ok if you ensure you install the offered nvidia proprietary drivers.

4K scaling is offered as 1x or 2x scaling for 18.04. Under 19.04 there is experimental fractional scaling. It will mature over the 19.04 cycle.

As I’m running now Win10, which is OK, but none of us would switch to Linux if everything was so great…, Is it more advisable for me to wait until the 19.04 is out and about, and proven successful, and then do the switch? (timing Q, not intent…)

Ok - 18.10, 19.04 are classed as standard releases - they are stable but obviously less tested than 18.04.

18.04 is an LTS with 3 years support - whereas 18.10/19.04 is 9months only - you have to hit the upgrade button every 6 to 9 months.

If its stability you want - stick with 18.04. If you want the latest and greatest, 19.04 will work. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Thank you so much for the suggestions.
I’m basically “holding back” to be sure that when I install it, it will run correctly on my screen with no hitches, or just minor ones, and will get the 4K resolution with now problems (useful for the photo editing I do on it habitually…)
Cheers :slight_smile: