Rebinding Alt+Q

Hi,
I can’t for the life of me find out where the Alt+Q(and F12) pulling up Tilix in Quake mode is bound, and how to clear it to to use for something else. I’ve been trying to search for relevant options with dconf-editor with no luck.

What version of UB are you using?

19.10, just cleanly installed.

Create a folder called ~/.local/share/budgie-extras-daemon

copy the files tilix_alt.bde and tilix_f12.bde found in /usr/share/budgie-extras-daemon into your local folder that you created above.

Edit the command you want in the .bde files that you want to bind the shortcuts with.

Logout and login.

2 Likes

Doesn’t work for me.
Ubuntu Budgie 19.10.

The steps I took:

1. Copy the file tilix_f12.bde found in /usr/share/budgie-extras-daemon into my local folder ~/.local/share/budgie-extras-daemon.
  2. In file ~/.local/share/budgie-extras-daemon/tilix_f12.bde I changed line “shortcut=F12” to “shortcut=<Alt>F12”.
  3. As a result, Tilix still appears at the F12 pressing, but now it also appears after Alt+F12 pressing. Of course, this in no way solves the problem.

But thanks to this topic, I found another solution. For me, the problem was solved by completely deleting the file /usr/share/budgie-extras-daemon/tilix_f12.bde. I realize that this is not the best solution, but I don’t see another solution yet.

By the way, it’s rather strange to use such frequently used keys as global shortcuts. For example, F12 is used in Firefox to call the code inspector window. The same F12 key is used in Blender to launch a render window. And it was an unpleasant disappointment for me when, after upgrading to 19.10, instead of the render window in Blender, I got a Tilix window. Even more annoying that there was no quick fix, because the intuitive way to open the Tilix settings window and change the keys does not work.

Yours is a different issue. Good find. We need to find a way to disable a keybinding rather than deleting a system file.

Raised here to think about

1 Like

It didn’t work, I needed to edit /usr/share/budgie-extras-daemon/tilix_alt.bde and remove the Alt functionality directly on that file.

1 Like

yeah i have same situation here today as this last guy above ^^. to remove the alt+q binding. maybe situations like this needs a bit more thought put into it. for the unbinding of existing keys. that sort of thing can be difficult from the user viewpoint. because there is always battling / searching for ‘something’ underneath. or ‘elswhere’ that cannot really find so well in logs etc. for where its still happening

Adding instructions for other flavors of Ubuntu, since this is the first result on most search engines right now.

If these files don’t exist, you can probably fix your problem from the user settings GUI:

settings -> devices -> keyboard -> (search for "Quake") -> (use the key rebind wizard)

I’m on budgie 21.10 and i do the change like this :
1- cd /usr/share/budgie-extras-daemon/
2- sudo vi tilix_alt.bde
3- replace the line “shortcut=T” by the shortcut that you want
4- esc:wq! (for saving your vi edition)
5- logout / login

and it works fine :slight_smile:

Just to complete this - in 22.04 we’ll be removing the Alt+Q binding by default.

Looks like it’s still there in 22.04 as I just tripped over it again. I’d forgotten about editing the system file, would be nice if that could be changed somewhere findable.

For now I’ve edited the system file again… :wink:

yeah - dunno why it crept back in again - it was deleted. ho hum. definitely gone now for 22.10

1 Like