Home Store Blog

Software patch release process / steps

I have a question, what is the release process for a bug fix? Lets assume the issue is with a gnome component. Once the gnome developer fixes issue s/he releases to?? and then what is the process that takes place or steps before you get a fix?

kind of depends on the severity of the issue - and at what point the fix is released in the release process.

So, lets say the issue is classified as minor - e.g. not causing crashes or just affects a small minority of people. The issue will be swept up in the next major or minor release. So if it is fixed now (GNOME 3.32.0) it will be made available at 3.32.1

lets say the issue is classified as major - then the canonical devs will normally insert it now as a backported fix in 3.30.0

Lets say the issue is causing lots of bug reports after April’s release - then Canonical will backport it to the current release.

If the issue is minor and is found after April’s release, then Canonical will just wait until GNOME 3.34

The issue will be swept up in the next major or minor release.

Is this a Canonical release or Debian release? What I am saying is does Canonical pull from the released Debian repository?

then Canonical will backport it to the current release.

So, would Canonical do this for any ubuntu variant, e.g. xubuntu and Thunar?

For GNOME stuff many of the “Debian” maintainers are actually Canonical and Ubuntu devs. Most often, those devs will make the updates into Debian Unstable and it will autoflow to Ubuntu. Since Debian is in freeze now and are basically on the GNOME 3.30 stack, most 3.32 packages are updated into Debian experimental and manually sync’d to Disco.

Canonical only maintains stuff in the Main repository. All other packages are automatically sync’d from Debian to the Universe repo. It is up-to each flavour who maintains their Universe packages to make the updates into Debian first and then it will appear in Ubuntu. The exception to this if the package is a “Ubuntu” only package e.g. artwork, meta seed packages and such like.

So for xubuntu and Thunar I would expect the xubuntu team to work with the XFCE team in Debian to make the updates there and then they will appear in Ubuntu.

1 Like

Very informative, thank you David