[Solved] Lenovo Graphics problems using standard Ubuntu/Budgie install

Hi. Ive had major problems (seg errors and various) stopping several apps which were all working a couple of months ago, on my new Lenovo E590 Thinkpad notebook.
sudo lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (Whiskey Lake) (rev 02)
What helped me sort it was the following command: sudo lshw -C display
which showed the driver was xserver-xorg-video-intel which is not recommended; its older and problematic. Aptitude recommends use system default which is driver=i915).
After removing this errant driver, its solved my applications crashing problems and more.
Hope this helps someone else.

eg sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-intel
(make sure you note the above line in case reboot fails, then if fails, reinstall on command line: sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

hmm - sounds like a bug - xserver should use the right driver for your chipset.

Did you report the bug to launchpad?

No, if you go to the driver in Synaptic, it tells why. The system may have been confused with the Lenovo capabilities on install, they are not the easiest beasts to configure.

That’s the whole point of the bug report. The kernel + Mesa should sort out driver support automatically regardless of manufacturer.

Since you mentioned Lenovo… they recently announced first class support for linux. But without bug reports they cannot provide that support.

Will do; whats the format for kernel bug report?

For the moment I would report it against xserver-xorg.

ubuntu-bug xserver-xorg

done https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1882610