Freezing on ThinkPad13

Hello,

I recently installed Ubuntu Budgie on Lenovo ThinkPad13 Gen 2 (dual boot with Windows 10 Pro), and I keep running into these issues:

• When connected to external monitor, a 34" Ultrawide Dell u3415w, my monitor won’t detect the laptop, but the laptop does detect the monitor, until I unplug the HDMI Cable and plug it again, which is weird because I’ve never had this issue with windows.
  • I’m not able to get 60FPS refresh rate on the ultrawide monitor, while I do get it on the laptop monitor.
  • Whenever I close the laptop led, or leave the laptop until it suspends, and I come back to it, it doesn’t show the login prompt, and no mouse cursor, only the wallpaper.
  • The experience is sluggish overall.

Specs:

• Memory: 8GB
  • Processor: i7-7500U
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620
  • GNOME: 3.26.2
  • Disk Space: 98.2 GB
  • Ubuntu 17.10

sounds like kernal and/or graphics issues.

Given where we are in the development cycle, my recommendation is to see if the latest 18.04 daily resolves these kind of issues.

Final release of 18.04 is on the 26th April.

alright I’ll upgrade later tonight, thank you very much for the help, but just to be sure, this machine is my daily driver and where I do all my work, do you recommend upgrading now or wait until the final release ?

as always - a beta is a beta. Expect issues. But if you are confident there shouldnt (in theory) be too many issues that an confident linux user couldn’t handle.

Yeah definitely, I haven’t used linux as my daily driver for a while now, but I think I can handle what it throws at me (hopefully nothing).

I’ll let you know if the upgrade changes the current behavior, thanks again!

upgrade is done, but it’s worse now, even video is stuttering.

Worse how?

Playing video using what software?

Sorry for the lack of details, Netflix on Chrome, the picture would freeze occasionally (every minute or so),
and the screen would go black when I close the led and open it again, I removed budgie desktop and installed ubuntu desktop too see maybe it’s my laptop.

Right - Chrome is a known issue that has been reported in the last day or so.

Current workaround is to use Firefox

What I did is a clean install of 16.04 and it’s working fine, 17.10 and 18.04 became too frustrating to use honestly.