Testing 21.04 - are you brave enough?

It’s called Inverse, I switched back to the defaults in the dconf-editor and that fixed it. I had been using the theme without problems until today when I changed to a different color and was sent promptly to the login screen.

worth reporting to the inverse maintainers - no icon themes should be shipping with a potentially corrupt icon/icons

Had I not had some experience I would have been reinstalling. One clue was a pixmap failure when the deconf-editor was opened from the terminal.

Confirmed I also saw the problem and this fixed it. Thanks @fossfreedom

Kernel 5.10.0-14-lowlatency made its way into my Ubuntu Budgie 21.04 install. I use lowlatency as part as the Ubuntu-Studio-Installer and JACK goodies.
So far everything runs fast and smooth on my AMD Ryzen + RadeonVII setup. No issues to report. Even JACK server has zero issues, no X-runs/resets. Shutdown speed has improved so much lately… it is surprising how fast it got. :sweat_smile:

This is going to be an awesome release! :star_struck: :partying_face:

1 Like

After updating my 21.04 installs today, I am seeing a crash on login:

_usr_bin_pipewire-media-session.1000.crash
_usr_bin_pipewire-media-session.115.crash

The same exact crash is happening on 3 completely separate machines (one AMD, one Intel, one Raspberry Pi), so I can’t imagine I am the only one seeing this error.

So if anyone else is experiencing this, the good thing is it looks like it is known about and a fix has already been committed. In the meantime I can confirm the workaround shown in comment #9 of the bug report does stop the crash.

In Settings - there is now a “Power Mode” section. The performance profile will only be available on systems which provide this functionality.

Added a GNOME “40” note to the first post

" 1. Some GNOME “40” applications are now in the repository. If they have been compiled with GTK-4 they will be Adwaita themed. This is to be expected since the vast majority of GTK themes only support GTK-3 and GTK-2 at this point in time. Please let us know which apps are Adwaita themed so we can monitor in future how these apps behave in newer themes made available as part of the 21.10 & 22.04 development cycles."

1 Like

Are they currently in proposed or should we expect them with normal updates in time ?

Can’t move or resize some windows. Nemo and my snap packages are fine, but the terminal , text editor, calculator, and Budgie desktop settings are just some of them. I can cause new windows to open in the middle of the screen, but can’t move them with the title bar regardless of theme.

you are affected by this bug - its affecting both GNOME-Shell and Budgie

Confirmed bug, thanks !

I also like to start testing but loved how simple it was to tell parents/family to enable sharing.
Is an alternative to vino (like gnome desktop share) considered to be included? Just to have that Screen Share switch working again? Or is the switch also removed completely (would be more consistent if it no longer works)?

I’ve raised this Debian issue to allow gnome-remote-desktop to be used on budgie - its the replacement for Vino and will appear in Settings as before. You can still install it … but currently it will also install GNOME-Shell. My fix that I’m proposing will ensure GNOME-Shell not to be installed if the package is installed on budgie.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=982937

Update - debian has kindly accepted my proposal. I will now request a sync from Debian to Ubuntu in the next day or so. Assuming it is accepted we will then make gnome-remote-desktop a part of our ISO so sharing remains an out-of-the-box experience for 21.04.

2 Likes

Thats amazing thanks!

I remember trying Compiz a while ago because the animations were quite good fun. However the repeated locking up of the desktop wasn’t. I decided to stick with something that put reliable functioning before gimmicks in future.

I have a issue when downloading a bunch of files from Outlook / Teams online etc.
It generates an zip folder nice in the download folder.
When I extract the folder, it changes the special Norwegian characters in the file name, to something cryptic. All files names are correct before downloading. Do not know what cases this issue. Language setting on the computer is working good in all other ways so far.

I’m assuming you are opening the zip file in “file-roller” ?

If so this sounds like a bug -

ubuntu-bug file-roller