Home Store Blog Development

Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 booting screen

I created a bootable USB drive from the iso 64bit I downloaded from the site, and used to install UB on my notebbok. everything works great.
I have an issue on the boot process.
When I boot my notebook the first screen I see is a Gray screen with no info text or anythin. the after a few seconds I see a screen with the ubuntu budgie logo for less then a second the screen turns black and the login screen comes up.

someone could tell me if this is the normal expected behavior? I imagine that it should work as the Ubuntu 18.04 boot sequence works. there is a fix?

What graphics card and graphics driver are you using?

My notebook has an hibrid system with an intel UHD 620 for low performance and a Nvidia GeForce MX150 for high performance. I am usin the Nvidia Drivers.

Ah. Yes. The observation you see is due to the use of nvidia’s proprietary drivers.

As far as I understand it those drivers do not support the KMS system needed for a smooth Plymouth boot screen. Only the open source drivers support the KMS system.

do you know of any big difference between Nvidia and Nuveau drivers?

From reading phoronix - the proprietary drivers are much faster and work for all nvidia cards. The nouveau drivers are much slower and there are a number of nvidia cards they do not/only partially work against.

Thanks. for the information

Hi,
I do not think the answer is very accurate.
I use an AMD GPU (Radeon R9 Fury X and RX 580).

I haven’t installed any proprietary driver for that.
It’s ubuntu-Busgie ootb.

Still, I have the exact same problem.
And that is really annoying…

I tried to reinstall GRUB, I tried to install proprietary drivers, I tried several things… But nothing to do.
Still that stupid grey display on boot !

Regards.

its the same issue - the KMS part for the radeon driver (in your case) hasn’t kicked in. That is a bug in the driver. Other AMD cards do work just fine.

Hi,

Thanks for taking time to reply to me.
You are indeed probably right.
I just updated to kernel 17.10.
And guess what ? Boot screen with options to select boot kernel.
And the nice thing : if I then decide to boot from another kernel, I still keep the boot screen :slight_smile:

Regards.

17.10? You mean kernel 4.17.10 ?

If so - great news. In Jan/February the hardware-enablement-support will kick in for 18.04 LTS and you will have the option to use the 18.10 kernel i.e. v4.18 - every 6 months thereafter you will then be uplifted to the latest supported kernel.

That should help you stay on a supported kernel … and have your boot screen working :slight_smile:

Hum… I am a little unsure about what allowed me to have the boot screen showing up the boot options.

It can be either :

• switching to a higher kernel ;
  • setting the BIOS on the Motherboard to boot the GPU in “Legacy” mode, instead of UEFI.

I will investigate a little further and report here of course.

Regards.

This is interesting. How will this option be visible??

That will be advertised in the next month or so.

From 16.04 experience … what happened is that the 18.04.2 point release will automatically have the updated kernel.

For other users who started from 18.04 and 18.04.1 there will be a simple one line command line entry you use to uplift to the HWE stack.