Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Testing Week

Is it just me? Lost the right-click menu/options on window title bar :roll_eyes: :thinking: @fossfreedom

yeah - the was the application-menu - GNOME have now removed that - so the separate icon in the client-side decoration is gone - the options are combined in the main window menu button

This release is coming out well. Using as my daily driver since day one of testing and going well. Touch wood, snappy and responsive and not a single crash. Keep up the good work :+1: :+1: :+1:

Printer issue with HP C3150. Printing is very faint, unread-ably so. hplip shows error when trying to install it and says it is not compatible with 20.04
Printer works as expected on 18.04

A new hplip package was released two days ago. Are you fully up-to-date?

What is the error when you install hplip? please install the package from the command line to see the output of the installation

hplip 3.20.3 is the version. The error is “error: ubuntu-20.04 version is not supported, so all dependencies may not be installed. However trying to install using ubuntu-19.10 version packages.”

Please report the bug to launchpad:

ubuntu-bug hplip

thx

Hi there was a large update a few days ago, I notice that screenrec now crashes on screenrecord, screenshot still works. Screenrec has not changed, the update has. Have reported it to screenrec devs, but I feel the latest update has introduced some graphics problems.

Run it from a terminal. Anything useful in the terminal output?

Now Ive found 2 apps which were working, but since update stopped. Both showing seg errors; these are the end lines:
Screenrec:
start showing player
Unknown property text-color
PlayerWeb::baseUrl: QUrl(“file:///opt/screenrec/playerweb.html”)
player api f_id: 1105724094
getPseudoName file_id= 1105724094
videoNameChanged New name: “10.04.2020_08.12.02_REC”
invokeUpdatePseudoName file_id= 1105724094 : “10.04.2020_08.12.02_REC”
updateGallery for 1105724094
PlayerWeb2 NEW SIZE: QSize(960, 523) , screenSize: QRect(0,34 1920x1046)
playersList num: 1
end showing player
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Shotcut:
No appenders associated with category qt.network.ssl
[Warning] <> QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function SSLv23_client_method
No appenders associated with category qt.network.ssl
[Warning] <> QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function SSL_library_init
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Ok - that looks like a SSL library update has happened, but the corresponding applications that uses that library hasnt been rebuilt / or needs an update to work against the new library.

Please run

ubuntu-bug <packagename>

for each of the problematic packages - that will flag up the issue - remember to also include the output of the terminal above as well. Don’t just link to this topic because launchpad devs will ignore the report if you do.

Im not sure if this helps, but Ive tried running both as sudo in case permissions, but still errs.
I’ll do what you suggest thanks.

Using GDB I have extra info:
Thread 1 “screenrec” received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007fffdf4a37f8 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iris_dri.so

Using host libthread_db library “/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1”.
need to run as root or suid: Operation not permitted
[Inferior 1 (process 6766) exited with code 01]

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shotcut/+bug/1871923

Do you mean you ran sudo shotcut and sudo screenrec ?

You should now check permissions inside your personal folder :

find ~ -user root
find ~ ! -user $USER

Reminder : use sudo only for commands inside terminal or console ; NEVER use sudo for launching a graphical app’.

Look for sudo, pkexec and policykit in Ubuntu doc’s for details.

Thanks for the heads up. Yes I did run as sudo just in case it was a permissions issue. But your advice appreciated. Run those 2 commands and I get screens to cache and temp files. What should I get, and when you say personal folder you mean /home/user right?

Note … the ssl issue does not have anything todo with graphics. So I would recommend feeding back to the screenrec devs the terminal trace since they need to be aware there is a potential need to rebuild their app against 20.04 libraries.

Correct, and that was my first port of call

If everything’s ok, both commands would respond nothing.

First command will give files and folders now belonging to root in your /home/user folder ( ~ personal folder ).
Second will give you files and folders that do not belong to $USER ( you, as in /home/user )

In /home/user everything should belong to $USER, so you may need to re-appropriate them
sudo chown $USER:$USER /path_to/file
or
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /path_to/folder
-R meaning recursively → the folder AND everything inside it.

Hope this helps.

Yes purrfect thanks. A great help and have sorted apart from a couple of odd files in trash sda and sdb which is 8Gb in size/details/binary file.