Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Testing Week

Work for me too :slightly_smiling_face: :+1: Thanks

ah wrong package

ubuntu-bug libmutter-6-0

How do I get the new icon themes? Tela, Qogir etc

offtopic for this thread - see Let's choose new icon theme for Ubuntu Budgie

1 Like

When I click on “Drop By” (top panel) the resulting window opens bottom of the screen

sure - that’s because its a window - its not a budgie popup. That’s by design.

My bad. When I said “window” I meant pop-up (similar to network-applet etc)

aye - the applet is just a toggle to open the window at the bottom of the screen. Its not a budgie popup control like network manager.

I get it. My impression was it opens like in the image below and next click will open a window.

thanks for pointing that out - need to fix the release notes with the correct picture.

Glad you could confirm - that way i won’t go back to try it the “welcome” way again via fresh install.
Don’t like to keep open ends open…

Yes… or no since it might change in 20.10 → DropBy applet in 19.10 ⋅ change popup position?

no for 20.04 - we are well …well … well past feature freeze.

Not a new feature, just enhancement of actual applet + this is how it used to work ( pop near its indicator in panel ).

no - enhancements are treated as new features. Bug fixing mode only at the moment.

Playing with words : it’s a bug since how it actually works is a regression regarding previous versions of drop by applet.

No emergency / no high priority indeed.

I’m not playing with words. Its is by design since it was rewritten from scratch - thus not a bug.

Dropby cannot be an applet with a popover due to applets being in the same thread as the panel - its why you got freezes and crashes under 18.04.

1 Like

I am playing with words, not you :wink:

This by design choice suggests applet should always sit at bottom right of the screen - which may be true only for users with a panel at bottom ( or right ) of the screen.

Else it might look a bit weird as it’s a different behavior from many other applets which tend to provide their subsequent window/popup near their indicator.

It’s not an applet anymore, it’s a popup desktop enhancement, similar to how windows handels it (also right bottom btw), with an applet as a visible icon to show usb device is connected, as an aside.

Ok, ok, ok…

Take it from a stupid user ( me ) point of view : my OS offers me things ( applets, icons, indicators whatever you name it ) and most of them seem to follow a pattern, generally if I click on it, something appears in its close area.

But some behave differently without that difference adding better sense or usability
⋅ raven that pops out of vertical left panel even if its trigger sits in far right of a top panel ( I know won’t fix upstream as by design )
⋅ drop by that appears here ( bottom right of the screen ) but is triggered far away over there ( anywhere you put its « applet/indicator/launcher » ).

As a lazy and stupid ( on purpose ) user I expect all these beautiful « desktop things » to follow a streamlined pattern in their behavior and « look’n’feel ».

So, ok, it’s really not a bug. More something about general UX and UI ?