Ubuntu Budgie 22.04.1 LTS Won't Boot

I ran an update to my Budgie workstation last night, and this morning the computer would not boot. I got these messages on startup:

/dev/nvmeOn1p2: clean, 700341/30498816 files, 15086919/121965056 blocks
Dev loop0: unable to read RDB block 8
EDAC SKX: ECC is disabled on IMC 0 (repeated 3 times)

Then it just goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor. On one or two boot attempts there was also a line that read “recovering journal”.

I was able to bring up the Grub menu by holding down Shift and hitting ESC several times on boot. Once there, I had these options:

Ubuntu, with Linux 5.17.0-1020-oem
Ubuntu, with Linux 5.17.0-1020-oem (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 5.15.0-52-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 5.15.0-52-generic (recovery mode)

I chose the third option 5.15.0-52 generic, and was able to boot and everything runs fine. But obviously there is a problem that needs fixing, but I’m not sure where to start. Looking for any insight others may have and how to fix this.

I spotted this bug report from yesterday for your problematic kernel Bug #1994153 “package linux-image-5.17.0-1020-oem 5.17.0-1020.21...” : Bugs : linux-signed-oem-5.17 package : Ubuntu

Do you also have nvidia graphics?

Sounds like a the linux oem kernel maintainers need to resolve properly. Do look at the last post in that bug report. You should subscribe to the bug report to receive updates.

1 Like

Thanks fossfreedom, that was fast. Have you considered adding “Flash” to your handle? :slight_smile:

I will follow your suggestions. I do have nvidia graphics. Guess I need to roll back to the 5.15 kernel until this is addressed.

Stick a fork in it, this thread is done like dinner. Thanks again fossfreedom.

I installed the missing files as per the bug report and things fired up just fine. I still get those silly messages on bootup (which I don’t get using the 5.15 kernel). But if it’s running properly, I don’t care if it throws curses at me on bootup.

Just a heads up for those that run virtual machines…the 5.17 kernel does not play nice with VMWare Player. I tried to start it this morning and it wanted to update, but could not. Therefore would not run.

I rebooted into 5.15 kernel and VMWare runs fine.

Edit: I have edited my grub file to boot from the 5.15 kernel. I’ll wait until issues with 5.17 are ironed out before switching.