Ubuntu-budgie-welcome does not start anymore

Hello dear community,

within my Ubuntu Budgie installation, the ubuntu-budgie-welcome snap does not start anymore. It just quits with the following terminal message:

# The command to run comes from the freedesktop file provided
$ env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/ubuntu-budgie-welcome_budgie-welcome.desktop /snap/bin/ubuntu-budgie-welcome.budgie-welcome %U
snap-confine has elevated permissions and is not confined but should be. Refusing to continue to avoid permission escalation attacks

What a pity! Without the Welcome App I don’t see any other way to manage Budgie applets? Or is there another way?

On the search for a solution I already tried the following from Ask Ubuntu:

$ sudo apt purge snapd snap-confine && sudo apt install -y snapd

But that didn’t help, at all. Any further suggestions are appreciated. Hopefully someone can help?

Thank in advance

All the best,
Markus

Please also check and if need be start apparmor as per https://askubuntu.com/questions/1074114/snap-refuses-to-launch-applications

Ah, snap. Indeed, I intentionally stopped the apparmor.service to get LighDM’s guest session working. See Enabling Guest Session for LightDM

Now that I started AppArmor back again, all the snaps (including) Budgie’s Welcome App are working properly. But now I have a XOR situation :slight_smile: I can’t get both (guest session and snap) working at the same time :frowning: for snap works with and guest session works without AppArmor, only.

Disabling apparmor is a real sledgehammer approach from the guest issue. I strongly suspect creating apparmor rules for the guest session is required … I.e. bit like a firewall … poking holes via apparmor to allow the guest session through the apparmor ‘shield’

What those apparmor rules are though is way above my experience though.