ubuntuBudgie, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and WSL 2?

is current ubuntuBudgie compatible with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS running on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit machine running WSL 2 ??

Art

1 Like

Yes is the answer

thanksā€¦!!

Art

in preparation for the upgrade to Ubuntu Budgie, I upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to 20.10 in a WSL 2 Windows 10 Pro 64-bit environment; one unresolved error (ie: [GFX1-]: glxtest: libEGL initialize failed) but full functionality present with 20.04 LTS. the disk image for Ubuntu Budgie 20.10 has been downloaded and Iā€™m now wondering where to find the new installation instructions (ie: currently only have a terminal window and application initiated graphical windows) ?

Art

According to this - Canonical dont support wsl 2 on anything but the LTS release but there is more info here on ways to uplift to 20.10

the upgrade of the 20.04 LTS (downloaded from the Microsoft Windows Store) to 20.10 (assuming sourced from Ubuntu) is done with the one noted caveat above; changed the value of prompt from lts to normal in the update-manager and then used do-release-upgrade. rightly or wrongly the desire to run the latest version of ubuntuBudgie is driving the desire to upgrade to 20.10. therefore with 20.10 now running, the question is how to install ubuntuBudgie from the downloaded cdimage. executing sudo apt install unbuntu-budgie-desktop yields the following error message:
Reading package listsā€¦ Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
E: Unable to locate package unbuntu-budgie-desktop

Art

typo!

ubuntu-budgie-desktop

daā€¦ thanks!!

Art

with the typing triple checked this time, ubuntuBudgie was downloaded and installed with no errors! how do I initialize it or route it through the Xterminal server running on the Windows 10 desktop if initialization isnā€™t normally required?? thanks!

Art

That twitter user ran ā€œbudgie-desktopā€ - I presume this is the info you are looking for?

xfce4 is up and running after typing xfce4-session in the Linux terminal window to initialize it!
typing budgie-desktop in the Linux terminal window produces the following error message: 16: exec: gnome-session: not found

Art

You will need to investigate this yourself since I dont have windows 10 pro to test with.

It says gnome-session is not found. Why not?

Is the package installed? Is there something about the path under wsl2 compared to a standard install?

budgie-desktop is a text file I think so you should look at that to understand what it is trying to do.