Home Store Blog Development

User switching not working

Hello,

This is actually a bug report, but I don’t know where to put it.
If I lock my screen and click the switch user button nothing happens.
So I also found out that I can use CTRL+ALt+F1 to log in with an additional user, but after that I can switch between users with CTRL+ALT+Fn without typing in any passwords.

regards,
Gregory

Sorry I cannot reproduce your issue.

I have tested both 18.04 and 19.04 using a mixture of standard and administrator users.

In all cases the lock screen kicks in. Switch User works and moves you to the slick-greeter login screen.

CTRL+ALT+F1 login then switch to a TTY - that TTY asks you for the logon password for that user - i.e. gnome-screensaver kicks in.

How can I get my actual version?

first of all, thanks for your effort and help!

Here is the output of cat /etc/*release

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS"
VERSION_ID="18.04"
HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

Is there anything more I could provide to help you debugging that issue? Maybe the tail of /var/log/auth.log?

Jan 26 22:53:52 tuxedo compiz: gkr-pam: unlocked login keyring
Jan 26 22:54:00 tuxedo polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:2 (system bus name :1.107, object path /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)
Jan 26 22:54:02 tuxedo gdm-password]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session closed for user grzegorz
Jan 26 22:54:02 tuxedo systemd-logind[1056]: Removed session 2.
Jan 26 22:54:02 tuxedo systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user grzegorz
Jan 26 22:54:15 tuxedo gdm-password]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user grzegorz by (uid=0)
Jan 26 22:54:15 tuxedo systemd-logind[1056]: New session 4 of user grzegorz.
Jan 26 22:54:15 tuxedo systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user grzegorz by (uid=0)
Jan 26 22:54:17 tuxedo polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for unix-session:4 (system bus name :1.164 [budgie-polkit-dialog], object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.UTF-8)
Jan 26 22:59:20 tuxedo gnome-screensaver-dialog: gkr-pam: unlocked login keyring

Sorry, my initial description was not not very thorough. If I click the “switch user” button, then the menu disappears and comes back after a few seconds, if I move the mouse or hit a key.

By the way, I tired this again, so no there is no lock screen if I use the ctrl+alt+Fn method for switching users.

Have you installed compiz and or gdm3? … this doesn’t appear to be a valid vanilla ubuntu budgie install.

I bought the computer preinstalled with ubuntu budgie, but these two are installed:

sudo apt-get install compiz gdm3
[sudo] password for grzegorz: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
compiz is already the newest version (1:0.9.13.1+18.04.20180302-0ubuntu1).
compiz set to manually installed.
gdm3 is already the newest version (3.28.3-0ubuntu18.04.3).
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  qt5-style-plugins
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 7 not to upgrade.

What is your default login greeter? Gdm3 or slick-greeter?

On a vanilla UB install it is slick greeter.

Once again I have to say: I don’t know. But it seems clear to me, that somethings wrong with my preinstalled Linux. I have my home folder on a separate hard drive, so I will partition the first one, install a second ubuntu there. I will be able to use them parallel and if the second one is more stable and better than I’ll be able to switch.

Ok in the mean time I downloaded a ubuntu budgie 18.04 ISO and installed it on my computer. Everything was fine, until I restored my home folder from the second hard drive and it became bad again.

Quite astonishing, that everything went back to the old stated, so I figure all configurations are stored in my home directory.

So which config files do i have to delete, to get the desktop and login system back to its original state?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

hmm - it could be in a variety of places

e.g.

~/.config/*
~/.local/*

or in-fact any “~/.xyz” type file

Or indeed could be a dconf issue somewhere

This Q&A is a bit drastic - but the GNOME 3 instructions will work for budgie - obviously you have a backup if things get worse

wow great, it was actually that easy, thank you! :slight_smile:
I replaced the .config and .local with the ones from the clean install I had earlier, and voila! We are nearly there :smiley:

Now the user switch is working, but there is still some minor issues (Mühsam nährt sich das Eichhörnchen…)

• The first problem now is, if I switch the user I first get to the login screen, where i can select and log with a password, and then it gets to another login screen, where I need to retype my password only.
  • The second issue is, that the monitor goes to sleep immediately after I hit Meta-L or after I login to a locked screen.

By the way, whats your policy here, shall I open a new thread and marked this one as solved?

kind of a continuation … so the thread is still valid.

re the first observation - yes I’m afraid that is what you have to-do. We have never found a way to get around that. I’m all ears if you find a workaround…

Re the second observation - Yes Meta + L does that - it is normal. Its something in gnome-screensaver to try to prevent the user session being still available after a wakeup… it’s not always successful though. Still needs more integration work with budgie/gnome-screensaver.