What are you using Ubuntu Budgie for?

Hi.
I use Ubuntu Budgie for work and also for home. I make industrial photography and video, mainly for shipyards. I tried multiple Linux distros and worked mainly with Ubuntu and Manjaro. I need stability, thats the reason for using Ubuntu again (18.04 with Budgie 10.5). For video i use Lightworks, and Gimp and Silkypix (running on wine) for photography. It was a bit harsh starting with Linux coming from 13 years using Mac Os, but i was tired of paying hundred of euros every year for software with bugs and full of bloatware i donā€™t needed. I use Linux in two macs, a Macpro from 2008 and a iMac from 2012. They work great with many Linux distros.
Thank you very much to the Ubuntu Budgie team for make this great distro.

Using Budgie on my laptop. This was my distro of choice when I purchased new laptop yesterday.
I use it for personal use (steam gaming, browsing, coding) etc.
I am loving this distro.

1 Like

I am not an experienced Linux user but I have tried several distributions, 2008-2009 for my home PC. I didnā€™t like it at all. Now I have tried several distributions such as MX, Mint, Manjaro, Suse, Ubuntu. Ubuntu Budgie, I really liked-chic appearance, just very nice to use for eyes. For novice users, there is only one unpleasant moment - the problem of assigning Alt-Shift keys to switch keyboard input. Although it is easy to solve and insignificant, but for new users it will take some time. This breaks the willingness to work out of the box. Otherwise, it is perfect for home use. I use as the second system on my laptop and increasingly prefer to use Ubuntu Budgie instead of Win. Very nice and looks good and not difficult for me. One disappointment - the complexity of configuring proton Steam for games without Linux support. It takes a long time to figure it out. Everything else is just fine, watching videos, a bit of office work, browsing the Internet, communication.
laptop ASUS K95VB 18,4" i73630QM/ RAM 8GB/ gt 740m 2GB/ SSD+HDD
Sorry if there are some errors in the text - I used yandex translate. :alien:

I use Budgie for school and specifically studying for the USMLE. I am running Budgie on a 2 in 1 Asus t100taf tablet that has a bay trail cpu, and 32Gb eMMC of storage. but the great thing is that I can run all the videos I have to watch for the different systems and topics plus answer practice questions. at the same time budgie has anki learning program which I just installed from the software center. that allows me to make questions and have them repeat. so for me budgie is purely for school and is very reliable.

also use it to check email and check messages from Google hangouts from time to time.

thanks for a great operating system.

I tried Ubuntu Budgie because my elderly MacBook Pro was constantly overheating and I despise plain Ubuntu on my 4k monitor due to the many different things one has to do in an attempt to make everything I use readable.

Budgie passed the user interface acid test - Gephi runs w/o complaint and the desktop is otherwise slick. Maltego behaves itself. These two Java based graphical apps are a big part of my workload. I have a lot of VirtualBox VMs and Budgie has been fine as both a host and a guest.

19.04 is much smoother - with Nemo I donā€™t really miss the Mac at all.

My 2011 13ā€™ MBP is running so much better with 19.04 too. I thought it was just me.
I love Nemo too but Iā€™m complying with the rest of the UI with the GNOME CSD thing, using Nautilus like Solus OS, Plata theme too.

1 Like

I use Budgie on a dual boot home built desktop for testing at the moment. Browsing , mail , and music are the main uses. After using the Gnome Shell as a second desktop alongside Unity since 2012 I was ready for a change and Budgie supplied what I wanted and more. I also use Deepin because I wanted a rolling release for the Netbook.

Iā€™ve been using Budgie as my primary OS for about a year on my Dell Chromebook 13 7310 (i5 / 8GB RAM) and it works excellently! Couldnā€™t be happier with it.

2 Likes