What's the name of the main ubuntu budgie executable to run if I want to do the ssh / X11 forwarding of the budgie desktop from the jetson nano to my main PC

Hello to everyone.

I’m trying to do the ssh / X11 forwarding of the ubuntu budgie desktop on my main PC,while on my jetson nano I’m running ubuntu 21.04 + ubuntu budgie. This is how I have already forwarded succesfully the same os but using lxde :

ssh -Y root@192.168.1.3 lxde-session

and it works perfectly. I don’t understand how to do the same with the budgie desktop. I see that these are the processes that are active while budgie is running on the jetson nano :

#   5836 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/libexec/gnome-session-binary --systemd --builtin --session=budgie-desktop
#   6625 ?        Sl     1:48 budgie-wm
#   6635 ?        Sl     0:22 budgie-panel
#   6747 ?        Sl     0:03 /usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-showtime/showtime_desktop
#   6794 ?        Sl     0:02 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-dropby/dropover
#   6800 ?        Sl     0:03 budgie-daemon
#   6802 ?        Sl     0:02 budgie-polkit-dialog
#   6826 ?        Sl     0:01 budgie-extras-daemon
#  19122 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/budgie-window-shuffler/gridwindow
#  19126 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-visualspace/auto_workspace
#  19167 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/budgie-window-shuffler/layouts_popup
#  19221 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/budgie-previews/previews_daemon
#  19226 ?        Sl     0:03 /usr/lib/budgie-previews/previews_creator
#  19291 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/budgie-window-shuffler/windowshufflerdaemon

So,I tried to do something like this :

ssh -Y root@192.168.1.3 /usr/libexec/gnome-session-binary --systemd --builtin --session=budgie-desktop

but nothing happens.

On our arm64 raspberry pi image we use this script to enable/disable ssh

in essence we use openssh-server to provide the connection capability. It should work on all architectures.

where should I run this script ? on the jetson nano or on my main PC ? actually on my main PC,I run this command :

ssh -Y root@192.168.1.3 lxde-session

and on the screen I see the lxde desktop that I have previously installed on the nano. Can I do the same with your script ?

You run the script on the budgie desktop host to enable ssh.

Then on the remote computer you simply ssh to the host ip address.

./budgie-ssh enable

Checking for ssh
ssh already installed!
Checking if ssh is enabled
ssh already enabled!
Done!

./start-forwarding-nano.sh

Welcome to Ubuntu 21.04 (GNU/Linux 4.9.140 aarch64)

0 updates can be applied immediately.

and then what should I do ? I would like to know how to start the budgie desktop manager…

root@zi-desktop:~# /usr/libexec/gnome-session-binary --systemd --builtin --session=budgie-desktop

Terminated.

root@zi-desktop:~# budgie-wm

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri:$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 150 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
Value in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 170
Current serial number in output stream: 171

root@zi-desktop:~# lxde-session

lxde-session: command not found

this script is useless for me. if,as I’ve told you,I’ve already been able to show the lxde desktop manager from the nano to the remote pc,It means that I have already enabled the ssh server and I have already configured the ssh forwarding. your script does only this,it does not launch the budgie desktop via ssh forwarding. I need to know what’s the command to launch the budgie desktop remotely.

@fossfreedom : where are you ?

maybe budgie-desktop ?

thanks. I tried like this :

ssh -Y root@192.168.1.3 budgie-desktop

but nothing happened.

Are you sure ssh -Y has everything it expects to work ?

ssh_config(5) - Linux manual page → ForwardX11Trusted

Same failure with ssh -X ?

maybe it’s not a failure,but yes,also with ssh -X nothing happens.