Wifi driver on Macbook Air 2013

So when trying UB on this, the WiFi doesn’t automatically install, I have to go to Additional Drivers and tell it to use the proprietary driver. No problem there. So then I install and tell it to install 3rd party drivers (while connected to WiFi) and then I boot and there is no WiFi. So I go back to Additional Drivers and tell it to use the proprietary one again, but this time it tells me that I cannot download packages while offline! It worked a minute ago and I cannot get online without doing this…

No Ethernet jack on a macbook air, so if I can’t get this working I’ll have to go with another distro…

During the install you need to tick the install proprietary drivers & wifi option otherwise it will not exist after the install.

I did that. No luck there.

I found something on AskUbuntu and it seems like it’s getting me closer but hasn’t worked:

Here is your wireless device:

Broadcom Corporation BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:43a0] (rev 03) Subsystem: Apple Inc. BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter 

If you have the installation USB or DVD, insert it and and drill down to: pool/restricted/b/bcmwl and drag bcmwl-kernel-source to your desktop. Do the same with pool/main/d/dkms and drag dkms to you desktop. Then install:

cd ~/Desktop
sudo dpkg -i dkms*.deb
sudo dpkg -i bcmwl*.deb
sudo modprobe wl

I try to install dkms and it says I need to have “make” installed. bcmwl is the wireless driver and needs dkms installed…

thats a pain - debian dependencies are tricky.

make is available if you install build-essential - so that should be in something like /pool/main/b/ I’m guessing.

The other broadcom package you may need to grab I’m guessing is b43-fwcutter which is likely to be in the same sort of area on the disc.

Thank you. I’ll do some digging and see if I can find anything.

Someone at AskUbuntu suggested tethering to my phone, then installing. Worked like a charm. Simple fix. :slight_smile:

That’s an excellent suggestion!

Let’s hope that Canonicals new installer jn the future fixes these odd installation issues.