19.04 Daily Download

I see that Nautilus has been updated to the version that does not support desktop icons. So, what is your current thinking regarding this – still leaning toward desktopfolder?

you mean 19.04!

Currently the 19.04 UB images do not have a GUI file-manager.

We have decided to drop Nautilus due to its tracker requirements.

We’ll be going with Nemo for the file-manager but restyled to more match what nautilus currently looks like.

In terms of desktop-icons we should in theory have a choice between nemo-desktop or desktopfolder. At the moment desktopfolder is stuck in Debian new queue and thus hasnt yet been migrated to Ubuntu - cross fingers it does get included in the next 3 weeks.

When February hits we’ll make our final choice - it comes down to capability & stability between the two. There still needs to be more changes to desktopfolder in the area of accounting for vertical panels + drag and drop issues. If these are not resolved we’ll bump desktopfolder to 19.10 and go with nemo-desktop for 19.04.

2 Likes

We’ll be going with Nemo for the file-manager

Wow, big change in direction. IMHO, Nimo a good choice – while I have been using desktopfolder it’s not as smooth and at times clunkey :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is the problem with tracker requirement ?
Wouldn’t be just easier to disable it if it’s useless in budgie ?

No - you cannot disable tracker. It is built in and Ubuntu itself will no longer patch out tracker - they did so in 18.04 but will no longer carry that patch.

Tracker is a known memory hog - it often makes your HDD go mental when indexing and reindexing … and memory usage is pretty high.

Taken together with Nautilus no longer offering desktop-icons which most budgie users require out of the box, Nautilus is no longer really up-to-the-job for budgie users.

Obviously if you want to keep running Nautilus it will still be there for anyone upgrading from 18.10 to 19.04. For new 19.04 users it is just one package install away.

Anyone having problems with 19.04 and Libreoffice 1.6.1.4, seems caught in recovery mode?

Yes. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1813506

My last post on that is interesting. I dont think it is specific to 19.04 given the same symptoms on 18.04

Yes, purging libreoffice-gtk3 did resolve the problem and yes its ugly. All my 18.10 systems have no problems with LO.

remember to hit the subscribe button on that bug report otherwise the bug visibility will not be raised to Canonical.

Just downloaded the daily ubuntu 19.04 and libreoffice work fine with it. So, might this be a Budgie Desktop problem?

doubtful - its more like there is a package that ubuntu 19.04 has installed by default that we haven’t.

What though is anyone’s guess.

For some reason, ubuntu 19.04 does not have cpdb-backend-gcp and libcpdb-libs-common1 installed whereas UB 19.04 does. By purging these two libraries Libreoffice starts correctly.

Yes - we have included these libraries because we are enabling Google Cloud Print services; so in 19.04 if you connect your google account you will be able to directly print & save to Google Drive.

@fossfreedom, has nemo been included yet in the dailies? I have some free time and figure I could help test some of this.

Probably sometime this week or weekend coming. Most of this week is tied up testing 18.04.2 due Thursday

1 Like

@fossfreedom, if your going to include nemo it would be nice to see the mouse over of desktop icons not have the text highlighted with the dark brown :slight_smile:

ah - well … offers to tweak the Pocillo theme are always welcome :wink:

Tried other themes no change. Went to ubuntu 19.10, removed the gnome plugin for desktop icons, installed nemo and still the mouse over shows text with dark color background.

yeah - its a nemo thing. Don’t worry - I’ve tweaked Pocillo so the only thing being highlighted when hovering is the icon itself.

1 Like

The full nemo and nemo desktop configuration is now in 19.04 - just make sure you are fully up-to-date / or do a brand new install and update

2 Likes