AMD/Intel Graphics Drivers - Vulkan Development

Hello, I’m trying out budgie on my actual dev machine after loving it on my laptop. But I’m having some graphics driver problems.

I’ve installed the vulkan-sdk, and then tried verifying the installation.

:~$ vkvia
VIA_ERROR: Failed to find Vulkan Driver JSON.

:~$ vulkaninfo
Cannot create Vulkan instance.
This problem is often caused by a faulty installation of the Vulkan driver or attempting to use a GPU that does not support Vulkan.
/build/vulkan-tools-1.1.121.0~rc2/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.c:965: failed with VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER

I was confused because when I tried this on my laptop, it worked fine. And I didn’t follow any different steps. After all during installation, I allowed the installation of 3rd party graphics drivers and whatnot.

Then I went to check on my additional drivers only to see nothing…

When I go to my laptop which has an Nvidia GPU it works fine and gives me the option between proprietary vs open source drivers.

But my desktop which has an Intel Coffee Lake and a Vega64 gives me no options.

Why aren’t graphics drivers being installed for either my Coffee Lake or my Vega64?

Does this thread help here?

Thanks fossfreedom :slight_smile:

The command they gave was a little more than I needed since I had already installed the vulkan-sdk.
So I’ll provide exactly the minimum for what I needed:

~$ sudo apt-get install mesa-vulkan-drivers

Mesa drivers are the open source AMD drivers. And for now that’s good enough.
Ideally I’d like to use the close source ones since they match the vulkan drivers on windows a lot more closely. But for now this is good.

I’m just curious. Why the drivers weren’t installed during ubuntu-budgie installation?

mesa-vulkan-drivers is part of the ISO for 19.10 and 20.04.

It isnt on our 18.04.3 ISO though