Intel and Nvidia graphics

Hello guys
I’ve installed ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS recently. I had to use “nomodeset” because it would freeze if i don’t do so. Anw, ubuntu didn’t recognise the graphic card i had and I’ve tried using terminal and got additional drivers, but none would work.
I have geforce gtx 1050 ti . I downloaded a legacy driver from nvidia’s site that says it supports my card but it wont execute, even after granting it the permission

Hi there.

What are the results of running the sudo ubuntu-drivers devices command?

You should see something similar to:

$ sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd00001401sv00001462sd00003205bc03sc00i00
vendor   : NVIDIA Corporation
model    : GM206 [GeForce GTX 960]
driver   : nvidia-driver-396 - third-party free
driver   : nvidia-driver-415 - third-party free recommended
driver   : nvidia-driver-410 - third-party free
driver   : nvidia-driver-390 - distro non-free
driver   : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

Does it see your card properly? The results of the drivers themselves will depend on the available drivers and PPAs that you have on your system.

For reference, this is the process I do to install my NVIDIA drivers. (Granted my card is a little older (960).

I add the official PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Then I like to double-check that my system “sees” the latest drivers with:

$ sudo ubuntu-drivers list
[sudo] password for dustin: 
nvidia-driver-410
nvidia-driver-396
nvidia-driver-415
nvidia-driver-390

Then I install them with:

# This command will install the recommended driver from the "ubuntu-driver devices" command.
$ sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall 

At this point I usually reboot (may not be needed).

Since I have my drivers already installed, I cannot show you the output of the previous command.

NOTE- You could just add the PPA and install the desired package for the version you want.

Regards.

This may or may not be relevant.

My laptop has optimus graphics - both Intel and nvidia geforce 650m graphics.

I recently upgraded to the HWE kernel - the same kernel 4.18 graphics as in 18.04.2. Like you I noticed that the About screen says llvmpipe graphics.

odd.

I then booted back into kernel 4.15 and the About screen correctly identified my Intel HD graphics.

kernel 4.15 is in the repos if you want to try that.

1 Like

I think Intel Rapid Storage Technology is the reason behind every problem and i can’t seem to find a solution for it