Main menu disappeared

The main menu in 18.0, from where you launch programs, disappeared after I installed the Weather applet.

sudo apt install --reinstall ubuntu-budgie-desktop budgie-desktop budgie-core gnome-control-centre came back with ‘control center not found.’ I removed gnome-control-centre and the reinstall ran but did still the main menu is not there. It is not just hidden.

Any suggestions?

thanks

garyk

Reset your panel.

nohup budgie-panel --reset --replace &

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Now it will not allow me to login at all. The password is the same one i have used all along. The cap locks is not off. The keyboard is still US layout. If I deliberately enter a wrong password it tells me, but the correct password just takes me back to the login screen. Yikes! I have 19.04 so I can use the computer, fortunately. What do I do now?

Garyk

Try the following:

sudo apt install --reinstall ubuntu-budgie-desktop budgie-desktop-environment budgie-desktop budgie-core gir1.2-budgie-1.0 libbudgie-plugin0 libbudgie-private0 libbudgietheme0 libraven0

How do I get logged in?

CTRL+ALT+F3 - login via a TTY text session

From the login screen, where you find your computer name and a field for the password, CTRL+ALT+F3 does not bring up a terminal

Gary

It will switch to a text login screen

How long does that take? When I do CTRL+ALT+F3 nothing happens.

When at computer startup I choose advanced options, fix broken packages, it is asking to download 380 megs. It might be 18.04 and not 19.04 that showed an unattended upgrade a day or two ago, the last time I used 18.04. Perhaps this has something to do with the problem. I am on my mobile so waiting for a wifi connection to do the download.

thanks

garyk

If it’s not switching then there is something very seriously wrong with your installation. Sounds like you have accidentally removed many critical packages.

Suggest it might be easier to boot from an iso and do a clean install. From the live iso session grab what you need from your hard drive and save it to another USB stick

ok, I know what to do now. thanks!

Would you please share what you did?
I have the same issue and the solutions provided here haven’t been useful to me!

nohup budgie-panel --reset --replace &