Privacy? Any concerns with Ubuntu Budgie

Does Ubuntu Budgie share the same privacy policies as Ubuntu? They aren’t know to be the best, not as bad as windows but not at say Debian’s level.

Hi and welcome

Can you expand slightly - what privacy concerns have you with Ubuntu itself?

Privacy.io recommends Debian and a few others but no Ubuntu based OS.

I’m not typically a Ubuntu user, I mainly use Debian but love this Budgie build. The last Ubuntu disto I used was like 10.04. I’m just kinda going off what I’ve read from other forums.

privacy.io? wrong URL?

There is as you know lots of nonsense posted by a few self opinionated people out there in the interweb - so not really sure what privacy issues are real concerns rather than just not very accurate random thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Like

woops privacytools.io/

hmm - there is nothing on that site as far as I can gather that justifies any recommendation. Seems pretty random.

Here is my high level take. We don’t ship Ubuntu’s opt-in data collection utility on first logon.

Nor do we monitor ourselves/ nor have access to anything about what Ubuntu Budgie users are doing with their distro.

Ubuntu and ourselves dont ship (i.e. dont install) by default any proprietary software.

We do though always work on the “it just works” philosophy - so we don’t hide from users the ability to choose the software they want - whether proprietary nvidia drivers/intel firmware or proprietary broadcom drivers. So use - if you want - or don’t use if you don’t want to.

We are shaped by the community through this forum primarily.

1 Like

Vanilla Ubuntu 18.04 + has GUI options to disable sharing information about your computer. As for U-Budgie you can disable automatic problem, reporting location services from the privacy settings. Hardware information is used to aid development and about 67% of users chose to share information about Ubuntu 18.04.

1 Like