(Problem Report)

I have been getting a notice (after booting up) that something is not right with one of my apps (programs) requesting me to send a report to the Budgie Team. This happens every time and I have sent reports on several occasions. I’m thinking it’s my grafik card (driver) NVIDA. So far it’s just a minor annoyance that goes away, and everything seems to be functioning ok. Just curious? I’m not into any heavy-duty stuff like gaming, so I don’t think I’ll have any real problems.

Do click the details button to find out which component is having an issue.

You can force a cleanup of the crash reports

I dont recommend any of the other answers there since apport is vital for all Ubuntu devs to understand what are key issues to worry about.

For now… I’m just going to live with it, unless it gets worse. Like I said it’s more of an annoyance than anything else. (only happens once) I really don’t see a details button anywhere. It’s just a small window asking me if I want to send a report or not. (and it’s in German, so I’m doing my best to explain, without knowing the English terms.) Anyway, I’m used to Windows doing this. I don’t mind sending you information if it helps you to improve Budgie. I still think it’s my NIVIDIA driver… just guessing.

UPDATE As of my last update, the Problem has disappeared. I waited a few weeks before writing this. Tip of the Hat to you guys! I’ve been sending reports since November… and it finally paid off. (Will be donating to your project soon) Thanks again.

IT’S BACK… lol (after 3 weeks)

are you sure? look in /var/crash - the crash file might be something else - one off.

Even for the nvidia - it might just be a one off depending on what you may have been doing at the time.

It really doesn’t matter what I’m doing. I could be using the internet or Libre Office or doing nothing at all. I haven’t timed it yet, but I’m guessing it pops up within the first minute. I’ve tried logging in (doing nothing) and just waiting for it to pop up… and it never fails, except for the three weeks or so when all was well. I have Stacer installed so here are the two Crash Reports according to Stacer: _usr_bin_plank.1000.crash 2.5MiB and: _usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.crash 356.2KiB ((I haven’t installed any new software in the last 3 weeks, I don’t game and I don’t really do anything out of the ordinary. I don’t have “Wine” installed.))

ok - some issue with plank. Second is a graphics issue. My suggestion is to clear those reports

sudo rm /var/crash/*

Reboot - login - wait for a few minutes and look again in /var/crash to see if they reoccur.

Ok… I removed CRASH REPORT with Stacer, double checked with Terminal to make sure it was really gone, rebooted … loged in… and it happened again “2nd issue”: _usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.crash So you say it’s a Graphic Card issue, which is what I thought from the beginning. But how does this explain what’s been going on for the past 2 to 3 weeks?
(I’m using the generic Nvidia Driver from Linux)

So… looks like my system was corrupted? Yesterday… START MENU disappeared completely. LOL
Today I wiped my Drive and reinstalled Budgie… no big deal. When I think of all the times I had to reinstall Win98… back in the day. So we’ll see what happens now.

Indeed this kind of problem-report right at machine startup don’t have any « details button ».

There is such a button on problem-report right after something crashed though.

Both kinds of report don’t confirm if they have been sent or received, nor offer a link to the bug-report. See Finding Ubuntu Crash Reports if you’d like to read what whoopsie sent for you.

1 Like

It really doesn’t matter anymore… Like I said, I wiped my drive and re-installed Budgie. (Quickest and easiest solution for me) I wasn’t doing anything crazy, or going to any weird places on the internet… so who knows what caused it? I did try restoring the system using GRUB… too time consuming. Well… it happened yesterday on April 1st… LINUX playing an April Fools Joke on me? (laugh)

I understand that resolving issues can get time-consuming and you were being pragmatic when you saw the problem, tinkered to solve it but couldn’t find a quick enough solution.

Still, this is not Windows. Bear in mind, there is almost always a solution on Linux. I haven’t had to wipe and reinstall any of my systems in a looong time.

Even further, not even going full reinstall, I am actually disappointed whenever I end up rebooting as a last resort solution to solve an issue. The last time I rebooted was 14 days ago because pipewire was broken (don’t try wayfire) and I couldn’t get any sound output device, hence sound (I mentioned that in a different topic).
In the meantime, I’ve tested other DEs, had a bunch of small issues, solved them, etc…
This is the beauty of Linux. You can solve pretty much anything through several different methods instead of going the radical way.

I have a desktop and a laptop. I’ve installed one distro beside Ubuntu on my laptop a year ago. Otherwise, it’s all inherited from previous hardware and hard drives/SSDs. Beside that other distro installation, I have no recollection of when I last installed my Ubuntu systems. I would guess 3-4-5 years ago. And they’re still as fresh as after install.

So, I know it can get time-consuming but I think you would really benefit on the long haul to try and solve your issues. It’s gonna get easier to detect the problem at hand with time.

I know Linux isn’t Windows, that’s why I’m using it. I remember when LINUX first came out… they were selling it in Computer Stores (Vobis). I was gonna try it back then, and my buddy convinced me not to. I understand your point, and I am interested in learning. I watch a lot of YouTube videos, I visit forums on line, and I’ve even bought books on the subject. I would’ve gladly sent you a CRASH REPORT, unfortunately “EVERYTHING” was gone… so there was no way for me to open my Terminal. That won’t happen next time. I’ve now got my “Terminal” and “Stacer” anchored to my DOCK. Time consuming? Well… I love LINUX, but my first love is Guitar… so sometimes you have to make a difficult choice. Please don’t be mad at me. :slight_smile:

Of course I’m not mad at you. :sweat_smile:
I’d rather pick my guitar as well!

The way I see it, you make mistakes, you tinker, you learn, you don’t repeat (and if you do you’ll know faster how to solve them).
There’s a learning curve to Linux (to solve problems I mean). It took me 5-10 years to get that intuition on where the problem seems to be and to be able to solve it almost systematically (even if I need to chroot into my system or rebuild Grub). The cost is time in the short term, the benefit is time in the long haul. Just saying.