Security of Drivers on Ubuntu Budgie 22.04.1 LTS

Greetings Budgie Community

I have very recently installed Ubuntu Budgie as it appealed to me as a good substitute for my previous OS. I am not IT literate so I wanted something that worked right out of the box.

Budgie did not disappoint. Installation was flawless and every optional installation after that bar Vivaldi as browser choice installed. Vivaldi for some reason would not. I installed Microsoft Edge instead. Anyway I digress… that is not the issue.

The issue is that I am concerned about the drivers - GPU and Wireless.

I have an NVDIA Card and the recommended driver by Budgie is 390 (Proprietary but tested). I know the Nvdia security support for this driver expires at the end of 2022. I have installed the driver and it works very well on my system.

I have also installed Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver which was automatically suggested by the Budgie Welcome Drivers Section.

I have no issue with the performance of the installed drivers - they work 100%. My concern is with the fact that they are proprietary drivers and that security updates are dependent on the vendor and Budgie clearly states that they do not support these drivers.

I am aware that there are security issues with Nvdia and Broadcom drivers that need to be patched regularly. I have installed the Nvdia repository from Budgie Welcome and as a result I have the PPA which I hope will give me an option to upgrade to a supported version come 2023.

I can find no such repository or PPA where the Broadcom is concerned despite the fact that these drivers require security updates too.

In short what I’m asking here:

1. Is my system vulnerable as a result of not having drivers updated with the latest security fixes? (I update Budgie Software daily. I have Livepatch enabled. I use a VPN. I do not use public WIFI).
  2. Is there a Repository/PPA for Broadcom drivers that I can add to my software updates along with the Nvdia Repository which I have already installed?

I look forward to hearing from you.

From an nvidia point of view - nvidia and Canonical have an excellent relationship and deliver timely updates to their drivers including making drivers compatible with the latest kernels that an LTS or interim release ships with.

From a broadcom POV - if you have a look here you will see broadcom drivers have included security updates in the past (focal) - but on the whole, the broadcom STA driver hasn’t really changed for many years.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/broadcom-sta

1 Like

Many thanks for your reply. My concerns have been alleviated! :handshake: