Steam failing to install [18.04, Beta 2]

Using the Budgie Welcome, the Steam installer is installed, a screen comes up giving the option to launch it, but after selecting that nothing happens. A generic Steam.desktop icon is on the desktop. Trying to run Steam from the terminal gives me:

Repairing installation, linking /home/bretaa/.steam/steam to /home/bretaa/.local/share/Steam
Running Steam on ubuntu 18.04 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
/home/[my directory]/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb-dri3.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_send_request_with_fds
/home/[my directory]/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 444: no match: ssfn*

I think something similar happened to me in Beta 1 as well.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Had a quick google for “symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb-dri3.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_send_request_with_fds” and there are various reports over the years.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/steam/+bug/1757473

I’m also aware that there is a pending launchpad bug report requesting steam to be removed from 18.04 because of installation issues.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/steam/+bug/1759715

At the moment it appears the snap route is the favoured way forward. But can be installed right at the moment via flatpak according to that bug report.

Think probably the best way forward is to remove the option for Steam installation via budgie-welcome until this is resolved. Can add it later once the snap is better defined.

What about using the pan-distro Solus Steam Runtime that they put together? Longer term, though, Snap is probably the way to go…

Yep. That is what that bug report is referring to. At the moment those are experimental but I have heard good reports for those that have tried it.

Well, for now, I finally got Steam working, but only by installing the Steam Solus Runtime/Linux integration…

Always, steam being sabotaged. Since 14.04, steam has worked then on the update someone changes a dependent file version to corrupt install or prevent execution. To whoever it is, please stop.

Kind Regards,

1 Like