Testing 19.10 - only for the most adventurous

The very latest development mutter has been uploaded (21st July) - this needs careful testing

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/eoan-test
sudo apt upgrade

New development: QuickChar makes an appearance. So if you write text with special characters such as accents etc it can be difficult to remember all the keycombinations to write those characters.

Enter QuickChar. Press Super+Alt+C and a little dialog appears - type the ascii character the resembles your character and associated special characters appear - click and the character will be pasted into your libreoffice document (for example)

To test use the eoan-test repo and install the package budgie-quickchar - logout and login afterwards

New development: Brightness Controller applet makes an appearance

Use the eoan-test PPA and install the package budgie-brightness-controller-applet

New development: budgie-fuzzyclock-applet makes an appearance

Please use this topic for feedback on this applet.

You can install this via our eoan-test PPA and install the package budgie-fuzzyclock-applet

New development: workspace-stopwatch-applet makes an appearance

So if you spread your work out between workspaces (e.g. different client facing work) and you need to know how much time you spend on any workspace, this applet is just your ticker

You can install this via our eoan-test PPA and install the package budgie-workspace-stopwatch-applet

Both of my Budgie test builds kick back to the login screen after updates. These computers have totally different hardware and one was given a clean installation with the latest daily build 8/19/19. The new installation worked until reboot. I plan to update from the root shell in a day or two to see if that helps.

don’t use the eoan-test PPA for a while - that has the latest mutter that needs an update to budgie-desktop.

All packages have been uploaded to the main Canonical repositories so no need for the test PPA.

I can’t repair this from the root shell, so I will reinstall W/O the PPA which appears to be the cause of the problem.

hmm - surprised - should be able to boot from grub - advanced to the root shell - enable networking and then ppa-purge the ppa.

Could you please post the complete purge command , so I can see if I got it correct?

Thanks !

The purge should be:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/eoan-test

Thanks for the command , I couldn’t enable networking to install the ppa purge, so I reinstalled and I won’t be installing any third party options from Budgie welcome for now.

On 19.10 I see the Speech Dispatcher shown on the login page. Other than uninstalling it, is there a configuration file or command somewhere to remove it?

interesting. Can confirm. Must be an update from the last week.

Why though I don’t know.

This is the bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/accountsservice/+bug/1841079

After today’s update can no longer log in. When I enter the correct password it processes and then returns to the login page. Suggestions / workarounds?

are you running with the eoan-test PPA? You’ll need to purge that.

Any way to get a terminal session from the login page?

CTRL+Alt+F3 to login via a TTY

Note - in the last hour or so there has been a massive drop of GTK 3.34 packages moved from proposed to release.

You may have been a little unlucky to grab an update that doesn’t include all the packages. I’ll need to confirm later once things have settled down that there isn’t a more fundamental issue affecting budgie due to the GTK 3.34 uplift.