Testing 19.10 - only for the most adventurous

My 19.10 testing workflow goes as follows: 1. Test in Virtual Box, 2. Update older Thinkpad, 3. Update daily Dell laptop.

I have updated all three systems but only booted the Virtual Box session where I got into the login loop.

Will rebuild VB and see what happens but not boot the other machines.

Ok, clean UB 19.10 VB install, updated and a reboot: loops on login.

ok - ta. Will need to look into it further.

Probably will need to look into what is being reported in the syslog via the TTY - hopefully some critical issues reported

journalctl -ae --full

:frowning: Tried CTRL+Alt+F3 in Virtual Box but it dropped my desktop system into terminal.

Yeah - I think in VB you have to use the host key + function key (or could be a numeric number)

Journalctl -ae --full

use the cursor keys to scroll up and down.

Can confirm problem exists on Thinkpad.

Here is what journalctl -ae --full displayed on Thinkpad:

eoan lightdm[14344] PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so); /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
eoan lightdm[14344] PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
eoan lightdm[14344] PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet5.so); /lib/security/pam_kwallet5.so: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
eoan lightdm[14344] PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
eoan lightdm[14344] pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement “user ingroup nopasswdlogin” not met by user “rob”

ok - found the issue.

GNOME have been cleaning up gnome-settings-daemon - they removed two components this time around. Budgie Desktop was expecting those to be there. oops.

I’ve uploaded a fix upstream - and have uploaded the package for building. In the next few hours the new budgie-desktop package should be released.

Thanks for the quick fix David :slight_smile:

Also in this version are two fixes:

1. Attempt to prevent budgie-desktop & other budgie related processes throwing a system problem like dialog box on logon. I’m interested if you see such dialog boxes in the future.
  2. Spacer fix - should now be able to have spacer applet values up to 100px in size that doesn’t impact the vertical height for horizontal panels and vis-versa.

Global menu displaying the previous application open rather than the current one after updates that caused the login loop.

its not just global menu - its the icon-task list and plank is behaving weirdly as well.

Looks like a mutter bug but dunno (immediately) what the issue is or how to resolve.

I’ll Just remove the global menu for now and wait for updates . This is the second time this has happened and I don’t know how it was resolved the last time.

second time? This is the first time anyone has reported this issue.

BTW I have pinned down this issue to a specific change made by the GNOME mutter devs. Now need to understand why they did this and what we have to-do to make budgie compatible.

The first time was 12 days ago just prior to when I reported a login loop. I ended up reinstalling and all was well until this latest login loop problem reported here and @ UF a few days ago.

Right. Same issue then and wasn’t fixed. You were using the same mutter and same budgie desktop as now. After the first login loop you reverted to the old mutter version. Then subsequently Canonical and GNOME devs released the same broken mutter

Confirmed that I’m seeing the same issues with GNOME Shell + Plank

Thanks for bringing attention to the problem!