Testing 21.04 - are you brave enough?

The best testing is to use the VM exactly how you would normally use. Rigid tests miss things in complex pieces of software such as operating systems.

As to snaps - well found. Those should be reported so that the snap maintainers can resolve.

Iā€™m new to Ubuntu/Budgie bug reporting and Iā€™m not clear, where/how to exactly report. Anything specific to read? I understand, bug reports go into Launchpad. But what about selecting the package (or not), tags, system/app information to include?

I read this, but Iā€™m not sure, what you guys are expecting specifically:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
Oh yes: thanks for the link above (regarding snaps). I couldnā€™t have guessed it.

ubuntu-bug packagename

Thatā€™s does all the leg work for you. All you need to do is write down as much detail as you can how to produce the issue.

If you have a specific issue but are unsure of the package to report against then drop a post here and we will try to help you out.

Thanks for helping testing BTW ā€¦ much appreciated.

Sorry for being a pain ā€¦ I want to report a bug in a desktop theme (Mojave). Against what package? ubuntu-bug budgie-artwork doesnā€™t work (package not installed). Is ubuntu-bug the only way to create a bug report?

Ok. Mojave is ubuntu budgie package only. So if itā€™s a problem with a specific bit of the theme please raise an issue here

Although Iā€™m not using keyboard shortcuts a lot, I find that most of those indicated in Settings | Keyboard do not work. Even when explicitly configured, still no effect. Shouldnā€™t this be fixed or a cheat sheet provided of those keybindings that work? Am I missing something?

Iā€™m just testing on a dual-monitor setup and I do realize horrible cursor flickering. This seems to be a rather old xorg issue. There may be some way of curing this with xrandr. Iā€™ll come back on this. However, my question is: If I file the issue against xorg, how would you guys ever be able to follow up on such serious usability issues? IMHO, budgie can be a good platform for the masses (like in schools), but usability issues should then get priority, no?

I would file a report against the xorg-server package. Itā€™s the sort of thing Canonical needs to be aware of. If you can attach to the bug report a tiny phone video showing the issue then it will make things much clearer.

Some thoughts here worth considering the dpi change is an unusual answer that has lots of up votes and comments

You might want to have a look at:

Lightdm might be the culprit.

More like xorg - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server v1.20.10 is due soonish - so the combination of that and the latest v5.10 kernel and mesa will give a much more representative baseline to investigate from.

Ubuntu budgie 21.04:
Laptop: Slimbook PROX 15 with hybrid graphics intel/nvidia gtx 1650 Max-Q

First of all, this feels snappy as hell, some flatpak apps sometimes dont follow the desktop theme even with the override theme flag (in ubuntu 21.04 it was working good), I still have some flickering while resizing windows (nvdia on-demand mode), if I have nvidia only select on nvidia-settings (sync on) I get some ghosting (delay between writing and what shows on the display) on tilix and the system doesnt feel so smooth. Bluetooth pairing / connect / reconnect with my WF1000 Sony and Mx master 3 worked amazingly. Boot / Reboot / Shutdown / Suspend process worked without flaws.

Hope this helps, and thank you for the amazing job on Ubuntu Budgie 21.04

Sounds like specific flatpaks are making assumptions as to what desktop its running on - so for example it may be specifically looking for GNOME-Shell rather than the more generic DESKTOP_SESSION ā€œGNOMEā€ - For budgie our DESKTOP_SESSION is ā€œBUDGIE:GNOMEā€ - so if the flatpak is looking only at ā€œGNOMEā€ rather than as it should be searching for the characters ā€œGNOMEā€ then theming will not work.

Nothing we can do here other than advise you to discuss the issue with the flatpak maintainer.

1 Like

Hi there, thanks for the response. About the screen flickering while resizing windows (on nvidia on-demand), i have this problem even on budgie 20.04, its a driver problem ?
On ā€œonly nvidiaā€ mode I dont have this problem but get new ones like described earlier.

Thanks

We think its an xorg version issue - there is an outstanding issue where ubuntu as a whole are waiting for the next xorg version which may resolve matters

Hi there, its strange but on ubuntu 20.10 and 21.04 i dont get this problem, maybe the resize animation is somewhat different (donā€™t know).
In my case, iā€™m not able to do the workaround in hybrid graphics, if a create the 20-inte.conf on /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d i get a blackscreen on boot.

Thanks

Its specific to xorg - you may have been using Wayland as the GNOME Session which doesnt have this issue. Also we know not all nvidia/intel drivers invokes this issue.

Hi there, i was using xorg because nvidia with wayland at least for me breaks my desktop, but i understand what you are saying. From what i saw in the forum you have dual graphics aswell right? If I want to force the launch of a steam game with dedicated graphics while being on nvidia on-demand how can this be done the right way?

Thanks

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia yourapplication